Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Organization: Mercy Corps
Project Name: PEPFAR Safe Work, Life Skills and Market Connections to Decrease HIV Risk for Young Women (SKY) Project
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
About PEPFAR DREAMS Project:
Mercy Corps was recently awarded funding for a 2-year PEPFAR DREAMS program, Cultivating Safe Work, Life Skills and Market Connections to Decrease HIV Risk for Young Women (SKY) seeking to address the growing rate of HIV/AIDS among young women (ages 19 -24) who engage in transactional sex in the Gulu, Lira and Oyam Districts. SKY will reduce 4,500 young women’s reliance on transactional sex by providing them the skills, confidence and connections needed to achieve steady employment.
Job Summary: The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be responsible for program quality assurance, accountability, documentation and learning unit. The unit exists to support program design, implementation and utilization of information collected at different stages. The position holder will support program in planning and execution of monitoring and evaluation activities, ensuring quality in accordance with accepted standards, providing essential feedback for learning, accountability and decision making. S/he will be responsible for providing internal capacity building for program staff on monitoring and evaluation activities as well as review and development of necessary tools that feed into needs of Mercy Corps and donor reporting requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Generate and implement monitoring and evaluation tools
- Play key role in the development of intervention designs, sector strategies and M&E frameworks
- Coordinate assessments, evaluations and monitoring surveys in area of operation. This will entail development of Scopes of Work, development of survey tools, trainings and management of data collectors, report write and facilitating results discussion.
- Regularly document and share all learnings from program implements
- Maintain an up to date database that reflects progress (including disaggregated beneficiary counts) and donor indicators
- Build the capacity of all relevant team members to develop and maintain an excellent M&E system, and facilitate periodic reflection and analysis of program monitoring information that feeds into programming and learning.
- Actively participate in on-going M&E training and support for all Mercy Corps programs and partnering private sector staff
- Visit sites and partners to collect supplementary data, stories and conduct qualitative research both independently and in teams
- Build and maintain professional relationships with local government officials, private sector partners, NGOs, other development organizations, and civil society organizations
- Maintain an active advisory role with each program team to help guide them towards robust and relevant data collection
- Actively participate in all implementation, providing advice and feedback for quality results at any point
- Work closely with Program Director, Program Manager, Program Officer and other staffs to ensure that activities are implemented on plan and progress towards targets is not compromised.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with partners and government departments
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to credit Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its mission.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor or representatives
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Monitoring and Evaluation Officer career opportunity should a bachelor’s degree in Economics, Agriculture, Demography, Statistics, Business administration or relevant field
- A minimum of three years of program monitoring and evaluation experience
- Broad knowledge and understanding of concepts and demonstrate skills in monitoring and evaluation, project cycle, results chain and frameworks, participatory monitoring
- Ability to design and implement surveys, have knowledge of commonly used probability and purposive sampling techniques
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Broad knowledge of quantitative and qualitative data collection, reporting techniques. S/he should understand and be able to apply basic measures of central tendency and spread
- Computer literacy i.e. Microsoft Excel, the incumbent should demonstrate fluency in use of at least one data management software including Ms Access, SPSS, STATA.
- Proven ability and curiosity to work comfortably and effectively in the cultural, relatively poor infrastructure of Karamoja sub region.
- S/he will be an excellent communicator, have a strong sense of humor, multi-tasker, and able to work difficult and often stressful environments.
- Fluent both spoken and written English. Local language skills is a plus
How to Apply:
All prospective Ugandans who wish to join Mercy Corps are encouraged to send their applications via email including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road.
Deadline: 29th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline