Job Title: Operations Manager
Organization: Malaria Consortium
Project Name: USAID/PMI Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance & Administration Director
Salary: USD 20,160 gross per annum
About Malaria Consortium:
Malaria Consortium is the world’s leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. Malaria Consortium works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
About USAID MAPD Project:
The Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) project is a 5-year USAID/PMI funded project. The project aims to prevent and control Malaria illnesses and deaths in order to minimise the social economic effects of the disease among the overall population of Uganda especially in children under 5 years of age. The project will be implemented starting in August 2016, and will cover 43 districts with a total population of more than 13 million. The Malaria Action Program for Districts project offers a partnership uniquely positioned to deliver this implementation rollout. Partners include Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics (JHPIEGO), Banyan Global, Deloitte &Touché Uganda, Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) and Communication for Development Foundation-Uganda (CDFU).
Job Summary: The Operations will ensure departments and actors work together to achieve a more efficiently run organisation and better implementation of projects through ensuring operations efficiency. The Operations Manager is in charge of all logistics, administration, and project operations support of the MAPD Project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Logistics and Security:
· Oversee all procurement and supply activities to ensure that the right goods are provided at the right time.
· Ensure good value for money in all procurement of goods and services
· Ensure compliance with the organisation’s procedures and policies and those of donors regarding procurement and marking of assets
· Oversee the tendering and evaluation of bidding processes
· Ensure good inventory is kept of all procured goods
· Work closely with finance to ensure all the vendors are paid in time
· Oversee the organisation’s security procedures and the management of security of staff and assets
· Ensure effective and efficient fleet management including cost control, good driving, functioning of vehicle booking and scheduling system
· Review fuel analysis and vehicle repair costs to ensure good financial control
· Oversee the monitoring and reporting on Uganda security conditions and that security/safety procedures are adhered to by national and international staff
· Ensure that security phone tree, communication and emergency contact/number lists are maintained.
· Oversee all project and staff travel activities including national and international transportation, visas and hotels.
· Ensure that all MAPD Project offices are well run and professional in appearance.
· Provide an effective and efficient IT service to the organisation ensuring that staff computers, intranet and IT functions of the organization are functioning well and that problems are resolved efficiently and effectively.
· The incumbent will control administrative and IT risks to the organisation including viruses and critical system failure.
· Ensure that the MAPD office has an effective and professional front desk.
· Ensure that finance transactions are processed in an accurate and timely manner.
Programme Operations Support: (70%)
· Actively participate in the development, submission of bids and proposals.
· Provide project administrative and management expertise in the design, implementation, and monitoring of MAPD’s project activities.
· Play an active role as a team member on all MAPD’s projects and coordinate project team efforts by putting in place regular communication mechanisms.
· Develop and administer required project agreements and contracts.
· Develop and manage project work plans budgets as required.
· Ensure projects compliance with donor and organization requirements.
· Develop innovative and needs based project management systems and tools to ensure smooth project operations.
· Coordinate operations of MAPD Project field offices.
· Be responsible for the rental agreements and insurance for all MAPD Project’s properties.
· Track reporting timelines and work with technical team to ensure adherence to contractual reporting schedules.
· Ensure that finance transactions related to programmes are processed in an accurate and timely manner.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Malaria Consortium USAID MAPD Operations Manager job vacancy should hold a bachelor’s degree in stores/logistics management or purchasing and supplies and or business administration
· Possession of an MBA or CIPS will be an added advantage
· A minimum of five years of experience in a similar position with two years in senior management position
· Previous experience in the corporate/private sector will be an added advantage
· Prior experience with donor funded procedures is desirable
· Previous international experience would be a plus
· Be a self -starter who is able to work on own initiative with limited supervision
· Computer literacy i.e. knowledge and experience using MS-Office packages
· Fluent in English, excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
· Flexible in approach to tasks and working hours
· Good management and supervisory skills
· Demonstrable ability to lead supervise and manage teams
· Knowledge of INGOs Logistics and Procurement issues
Delivering Results: Inspires wider teams to achieve outstanding results and to manage risks
· Proactively improves effectiveness and performance of other senior staff to increase ability to meet objectives, acquiring new skills when appropriate
· Encourages mitigating risks amongst the teams/groups they work with/ manage.
· Ensures the quality of all internal/external work of own and others
Analysis and use of information: Works confidently with complex data to support work
· Interprets complex written information
· Works confidently with data before making decisions: for example; interpreting trends, issues and risks
· Acquainted with the validity, relevance and limitations of different sources of evidence
Interpersonal and communications: Communicates complex technical and/or sensitive/high risk information effectively
· Communicates complex operational, technical and strategic issues clearly and credibly with widely varied audiences
· Uses varied communication to promote dialogue and shared understanding and consensus across a variety of audiences
· Influences internal and external audiences on specific issues
· Scans the internal and external environment for key information and messages to support communications strategies
Collaboration and partnering:
· Develops external networks to increase internal thinking/learning
· Actively develops partnerships with relevant organisations, think tanks and individuals
· Takes initiative to establish a network or partnership where one does not exist
· Ensures any external learning is effectively brought in-house
Leading and motivating people: Champions ownership of corporate decisions
· Encourages their team to develop continually their individual potential, create a learning culture
· Demonstrates complete commitment to the achievement of the business goals, motivating others to deliver
· Spots, develops and promotes talent across teams whether or not in their own functional area
Flexibility/ adaptability: Clarifies priorities and ensures learning from experience
· Clarifies priorities when leading change
· Sees and shows others the benefits of strategic change.
· Helps colleagues/ team members to practice stress management through prioritization of workloads and modelling of appropriate self-management and care
· Makes time to learn from experience and feedback, and apply the lessons to a new situation
Living the Values: Acts as a role model in promoting Malaria Consortium’s values
· Champions and takes ownership of corporate decisions, values and standards and ensures team members implement them in a positive manner
· Acts as role model internally and externally in promoting Malaria Consortium’s values
· Is accountable for ensuring that cultural awareness is demonstrated across the area (s) they manage
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness: Takes a helicopter view and anticipates the
· Demonstrates an ability to step back from operational issues and see things holistically (helicopter vision)
· Anticipates how actions will impact other teams and negotiating to reach mutually acceptable solutions
· Demonstrates how complex strategic issues can be broken down into simple discrete steps
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 16th September 2016 by 2:30 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline