Job Title: Operations Manager
Organisation: Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Director - Disaster Risk and Crisis Management
Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading national humanitarian organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The ICRC is an International humanitarian institution which has a mandate to protect victims of international and armed conflicts i.e. the wounded, refugees, civilians, prisoners and other non-combatants.
Job Summary: The Operations Manager will provide general operational oversight of South Sudanese Refugees Emergency Operations for URCS Response Actions and Projects in Bidi Bidi resettlement site. The incumbent will also be accountable for supporting the management of the Population movement appeal and supporting the Uganda Red Cross Society in leading the ongoing operation in Yumbe District. The Manager will provide oversight, including leading the programme implementation and support teams, overseeing timely planning, implementation and reporting, and liaising with counterparts from Participating National Societies, the ICRC; and external partners such as UN agencies, NGOs, donors
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Achieve timely and effective implementation of its operation in Bidi Bidi Resettlement site – Yumbe district.
- In charge of initiating effective monitoring and reporting mechanisms as part of the Population Movement Emergency Appeal operation.
- Responsible for supporting the production of timely narrative and financial reports, according to URCS/IFRC procedures
- Provide coaching, mentoring and capacity building support, as required, to the operations management and technical staff of Uganda Red Cross Society.
- Ensure the application of the strategic direction of operations and focusing on achievement of the planned objectives.
- Maintain close reporting and communication lines with URCS HQ.
- Support the URCS operation structures/sectors to cooperate, collaborate and consult with key partners including Government agencies, UN partners and NGOs, and Movement partners to ensure consistency, harmonization and to avoid and duplication of effort.
- Regularly monitor the implementation of all activities as laid out in the plan of action, with particular attention to the broader context monitoring of achievement of results.
- Support the URCS to manage the effective and proper use of assets, financial resources and facilities according to URCS and IFRC standard procedures in order to comply with auditing requirements.
- Offer support in the planning and implementation of the operation staff task
- Ensure SPHERE standards are attained and maintained where appropriate
- Ensure international and/or national WatSan related standards are maintained
- Ensure all URCS needs are addressed where appropriate
- Facilitate the documentation of best practices and lessons learned from the URCS activities and assist in disseminating them to Federation staff and partners.
- Assure full compliance of operations with RC/RC principles, URCS rules, regulations and policies and operational strategies of the NS and relevant reference documents and policies (Sphere, Do No Harm).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Red Cross Society Operations Manager career opportunity should hold a post-graduate Degree in Primary Health Care, Community Development, Sociology, Development management and Management or/and extensive practical management experience preferably in development and humanitarian response programmes;
- Trainings of added value in; Project planning and management, Emergencies and Relief operations/ Disaster Risk Reduction, Participatory approaches and methodologies, Monitoring and evaluation.
- A minimum of five years’ practical experience in Emergency work and disaster preparedness/operations, and development management.
- Previous experience of managing the programme cycle, including assessments, project design, proposal and report writing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in, and a commitment to, the implementation of robust Performance Management and staff capacity building and development
- Excellent communication, people management and interpersonal skills in English.
- Computer literacy, particularly in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Strong representational and communication skills;
- Impeccable level of integrity
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets.
- Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities.
- Strong analytical, monitoring and evaluation, and report-writing abilities;
- Technical skills in two or more Key URCS sectors – Disaster Management, Health, Livelihoods, WASH, Protection.
- Strong, demonstrable, financial management skills, particularly in budgeting and reporting.
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement should send their filled application forms, download here and E-mail to: email@example.com or mail via post to: The Secretary General, Uganda Red Cross Society, Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road, P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 23rd September 2016 by 5.00pm.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline