Job Title: Finance Officer
Organisation: Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Finance and Administration
The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa – SIHA Network – is a coalition of civil society organisations from Sudan, South Sudan, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Somaliland and Uganda. Founded in 1995, the organisation advocates for social change and gender equality in the Horn region and works specifically on protecting women’s human rights, promoting women’s access to justice, supporting economic empowerment and activating women’s political participation. SIHA’s secretariat/HQ is located in Kampala, Uganda and SIHA maintains field offices in Sudan and South Sudan.
Job Summary: The Finance Officer performs various accounting and finance tasks according to SIHA work standard operating procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of maintaining and mange SIHA accounts under the supervision of SIHA head of finance and to follow the guidance of SIHA financial policy
- Prepare project proposals budgets in line with funding requirements
- The jobholder will draft and prepare financial reports internally and externally alongside the head of finance
- Prepare projects financial statements and follow-up on projects transactions and balances
- Ensure that all the financial data are entered into the accounting software system timely and correctly
- Ensure that SIHA staff are following the financial regulation
- Develop and maintain financial record keeping and reporting systems.
- Supervise payroll, billing, receivables, payables, cash receipts, cash disbursements, and general ledger functions.
- Prepare weekly closing general ledger entries.
- The jobholder will carefully documents and oversea the numbers of SIHA journal released to sail points and document income and keep clear records
- Document SIHA membership fee payment
- Follow-up and undertake all bank transfers in and out of SIHA bank accounts and maintain records
- Regularly monitor and follow-up on receivables that have been outstanding for unusually long periods of time.
- Prepare and submit monthly financial statements including balance sheet, profit/loss statements, and accumulative general ledger using a computer-based accounting system.
- Ensure that all general ledger accounts are reconciled to subsidiary records on weekly basis.
- Review reconciliations to ensure that they are prepared properly and follow-up on any unusual items.
- Revise bank statements and undertake regular financial anises
- Carefully rearview projects agreements and ensure to fully understand all it is articles
- Regularly monitor cash flow and investments.
- Oversee filing of tax forms
- Oversee, in conjunction with the Head of Finance and Administration; preparation of annual audit.
- Reconcile bank statement accounts, and prepares related journal entries
- Manage the preparation of invoices
- Execute transactions of pension and tax deferred annuity plan deposits
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Finance officer must hold a four-year college degree in Accounting is required or equivalent years of experience in accounting filed.
- Computer literacy skills including knowledge of word processing (Word), mail merge, scheduling (Outlook), spreadsheets (Excel) and other data base applications
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send a current CV and cover letter via Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy: email@example.com.
Deadline: 30th September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline