Job Title: Sub-Editor
Organisation: Vision Group
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief Sub-Editor
About New Vision:
The Vision Group incorporated as the New Vision Printing & Publishing Company Limited (NVPPCL), started business in March 1986. It is a multimedia business housing newspaper, magazines, internet publishing, television, radio broadcasting, commercial printing, advertising and distribution services. NVPPCL is listed on the Uganda Stock Exchange, with an expected turnover of over UGX 60 billion (FY 2010/2011).
Job Summary: The Sub-Editor will primarily be responsible for editing stories and design newspaper pages that meet the highest journalistic standards, satisfy audience and advertiser expectations and strengthen the New Vision brand.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure that copy is clear, simple and easy to read and comprehensible and written in standard English (UK).
· Edit stories to suit the newspaper's house-style and editorial policy so as to ensure the paper is respected and credible
· Ensures that copy is free of libel and inaccuracies and structured in a logical, coherent manner which appeals to readers & attracts advertisers
· Re-write, restructure and re-angle stories, where necessary, in consultation with writers and supervisors so as to make them compelling, readable, understandable and enjoyable
· Design fresh, attractive and easy-to- navigate pages so that reading the newspaper is pleasurable and effortless
· Exercise innovation and initiative and a high sense of news so as to be able to rank stories in terms of importance on the page, and determine the appropriate photos, graphics and other illustrations.
· Peer review, proof read and double check own and fellow sub-editors’ pages to eliminate typos, general errors, content that may be in bad taste and ensure the headlines best reflect the articles and that photos and other illustrations are both appropriate and rightly placed.
· Manage deadlines by ensuring that pages—both at individual and section level—are produced and delivered to Prepress in time and in the best quality.
· Mentor, coach and interact with reporters to give them feedback on their stories in order to minimize mistakes and help them write print-ready stories
· Works closely with the photo editor to generate and provide pictures and graphics which best illustrate stories
· Regularly review the paper daily to identify and correct errors if any
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The candidate should hold a Bachelor's degree preferably in English Language or Literature in English.
· Proven experience as a teacher of English Language or and Literature in English for at least two years.
· The aspirant should be willing to undertake journalism training.
· Possess excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
· Excellent Analytical and problem-solving skills
· Ability to work a flexible schedule.
· Ability to work under tight deadlines.
How to Apply:
All those reeling to work in Uganda’s leading media house, The New Vision, should send applications to: Chief Human Resources Officer, The New Vision Printing and Publishing Company Ltd. P.O. Box 9815, Kampala, Uganda or deliver to their front desk at the main reception.
Deadline: 7th October 2016