Organisation: International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC)
Project Name: Resilient Efficient Agribusiness Chains (REACH) project
Funding Source: Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is a public international organization (PIO) governed by an international board of directors with representation from developed and developing nations. The non-profit center focuses on increasing and sustaining food and agricultural productivity in developing countries through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise.
About REACH Project:
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) has submitted a proposal for the REACH (Resilient Efficient Agribusiness Chains) project to the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Kampala, Uganda. The project will improve market engagement for 40,000 market oriented farmers, strengthen household resilience and increase availability of agricultural support services for farmers and businesses in the rice and potato value chains in consideration of their strategic importance to the Government of Uganda and EKN.
Job Summary: The National Farming as a Business and Agronomy Coordinator will be field based and oversee the implementation of Farming as a Business activities in the REACH-UGANDA project. The incumbent will supervise 2 Regional FaaB (and agronomy) Specialists in field stations based in Kabale and Mbale. Their primary function is to develop and supervise the dissemination of training material on Farming as a Business and appropriate climate smart production techniques for the project’s target crops (potato and lowland rice). The focus is on FaaB to achieve marketable surpluses and reduced production costs. Commercial production will involve the use of fertilizers, organic matter management, improved germplasm, and climate smart farming practices. Proven FaaB training and adoption promotion skills are necessary, for the successful candidate in this role. The National FaaB Coordinator will also be responsible for overall design and execution of field demonstrations and data collection, and will work with the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator to assure accurate monitoring of project outputs. S/he will work with the project’s National Agribusiness Coordinator and the Gender and Youth Advisor to ensure that proper coordination and integration of the projects overarching objectives are achieved.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The National Farming as a Business and Agronomy Coordinator will oversee the development of simple, direct FaaB training materials, suited to both farmers and extension staff.
- Mentor and supervise Regional FaaB and Agronomy Specialists to meet training, demonstration and farmer adoption objectives.
- Prepare and submit activity reports on a quarterly basis and review partner and grantee reports so that the are in line with projects agronomy targets.
- Ensure that IFDC’s projects result in economically, environmentally and socially sustainable impacts.
- Be part of the senior project management team in budget development, and in monitoring agronomy project budget throughout the year.
- Establish and maintain contacts with private sector, government agencies, farmer business groups and associations, and NGOs involved in commercial agriculture initiatives.
- Work with agro-inputs sector to ensure supply of quality inputs to project areas.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) National Farming as a Business and Agronomy Coordinator job opportunity must hold a Bachelor’s Degree (Masters preferred) with proven experience in Farming-as-a-business, post-harvest handling knowledge/experience and climate smart agriculture is a must. Additionally, agronomy, soil science, communication and innovation studies related to agriculture or any related field
- A minimum of ten years of relevant work experience in Uganda is highly desirable.
- Proven leadership skills; ability to work collaboratively in multi-cultural environments and in interdisciplinary team.
- Previous experience working with commercial agricultural enterprises which have out grower schemes highly desirable.
- Exhibit commitment to and experience in community-based, participatory, field-oriented research and experiential learning approaches.
- Experience with gender mainstreaming in agribusiness projects highly desirable.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills in English.
- Knowledge of one or more languages in project area desirable.
- Good networking skills; existing relations with government, private, and NGO actors in agricultural production
- An ability to apply systems perspectives to natural resource management issues
- Willingness to travel extensively in Uganda.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) should Apply Online by clicking on the link below. Follow the instructions on how to create resume and Apply.
Deadline: 3rd October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline