Job Title: Media and Communications Officer
Organisation: Uganda Network of AIDS Service Organizations (UNASO)
Project Name: Prevention of HIV and AIDS in Communities of Karamoja Project (PACK))
Funding Source: Irish Aid
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director
Uganda Network of AIDS Service Organizations (UNASO) was established as a membership organization in 1996 to provide a platform for coordination, Advocacy, resource mobilization, capacity building and information sharing among civil society AIDS service organizations (ASOs). With its secretariat in Kampala, UNASO has a membership of over 2,000 AIDS service ionizations involved in HIV& AIDS and Health work. UNASO’s vision is “A Ugandan Society free of HIV and AIDS and its impact"; while her Mission is; “to provide leadership to ASOs for collective response to HIV& AIDS and Health through effective representation, coordination and enhanced capacities.”
About PACK Project:
A Civil Society organizations’ consortium (CSO-C) with support from Irish is implementing a five-year project “Prevention of HIV and AIDS in Communities of Karamoja” (PACK); The consortium comprises of Alliance of Mayors and Municipal Leaders on HIV/AIDS in Africa (AMICAALL), National Forum of People Living with HIV Networks in Uganda (NAFOPHANU), Straight Talk Foundation (STF), The AIDS Support Organization (TASO) and Uganda Network of AIDS Service Organizations (UNASO) was formed in 2015 in order to implement a “Prevention of HIV and AIDS in Communities of Karamoja” (PACK) Program. It’s also to test the feasibility of funding CSOs in responding to the HIV/AIDS epidemic through a grant that is for and is managed by the civil society. In the consortium, AMICAALL will strengthen capacity of municipalities and lower local government and community leaders in Karamoja while STF will provide HIV and AIDS prevention and SRH information targeting adolescents, youth and young women in the region. TASO will carry out community support engagements and NAFOPHANU will build capacity of PLHIV networks in the region and address HIV stigma and discrimination as a key barrier to utilization of services. UNASO will be the Grants Management Unit (GMU) for administering the grants and providing technical and financial management support to the consortium.
Job Summary: The Media and Communications Officer will lead UNASO’s external and internal communications. The incumbent will maximize coverage of UNASO’s programs by developing and delivering effective media and communication strategies and visibility products. The incumbent will also be responsible for the public relations aspect of UNASO, build and sustain a UNASO’s reputation and image. The jobholder will write and deliver press releases and handle all communication sent to the public.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage UNASO’s brand and reputation; develop branding initiatives, internal/external communications and maximize media opportunities.
- Formulate and effectively implement UNASO communication and documentation strategies
- Develop UNASO publications such as newsletters, releases, email announcements, planned publications, on-line, intranet video, special projects and assignments.
- Regularly generate high quality media coverage of UNASO’s programs and advocacy work
- Monitor and evaluate media coverage on UNASO’s work and to draw lessons to improve coverage, and provide regular analysis on issues relevant to UNASO’s work.
- Write press releases, news reports, letters, petitions, briefing papers research reports, articles, statements and case studies about the work of UNASO
- Develop and maintain a rich and extensive network with journalists, academics, social media activists, media outlets and other relevant organizations and form partnerships with these to strengthen the dissemination of UNASO’s publications
- Produce digital content (stories, photos, blog articles, videos) to be used by UNASO and on other related websites
- Lead in the timely updating and development of UNASO’s website Social media; Face book pages, Twitter, YouTube, and Radio WhatsApp accounts and mailing lists.
- The incumbent will document and maintain a sound records management system; hard and soft copies of UNASO work
- Initiate and write news articles, best practices and success stories for publication
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the Media and Communications Officer job opportunity must hold a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, media relations, or related field. A master degree is an added advantage
- A minimum of three years’ experience in implementing similar communications work
- Previous experience of working as a journalist is an added advantage
- Excellent communication and advocacy skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications, curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates/ testimonials either by post or hand delivery addressed to the:
Uganda Network of AIDS Service Organizations (UNASO),
Plot 190, Kiira Road. Ntinda- Kyambogo Route,
P.O. Box 27346 Kampala, Uganda
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For hand delivery, please deliver to the address above between 8.00am to 4.00pm, Monday to Friday.
NB: Please indicate a daytime telephone contact and names and contact details of three professional referees. Also, in your application letter and on the cover of the envelope, clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
Deadline: 7th October, 2016 by 4:00 PM
NB: If you do not hear from us by 28th October, 2016, please consider your application unsuccessful.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline