Job Title: Laboratory Technologist
Organisation: Joint Clinical Research Centre (JCRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head HIV Molecular Biology Laboratory
Joint Clinical Research Centre (JCRC) is a National Ugandan Organization that was established in 1991 as a Medical Institution and HIV/AIDS Centre of Excellence specializing in Medical Research, Health Care and Training.
Job Summary: The Laboratory Technologist will provide HIV drug resistance testing as a monitoring tool for patient care and research at Joint Clinical Research Centre. The incumbent will be required to perform HIV drug resistance Assays for patient care and research purposes and other molecular biology techniques.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct Genotyping HIV-1 resistance testing on clinical and research samples from sample processing to data analysis and reporting of results.
- Coordinate and participate in the performance and interpretation of complex technical duties in support of medical laboratory testing; record determinations and results for review by laboratory management and physician/caregiver staff.
- Actively participate in specimen collection when required according to test requests.
- Set-up, evaluate and operate current and new equipment, instruments and apparatus required for specific laboratory tests and assume adequate responsibility to maintain operations including preventive maintenance.
- The incumbent will coordinate the preparation and quality assurance of PCR and sequencing reagents, culture media, chemicals, stains and solutions as appropriate.
- Evaluate collected laboratory data and prepare reports assessing accuracy, completeness, timeliness, progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Actively participate in the development of new medical laboratory procedures and techniques.
- Offer technical guidance and instruction to students, interns, residents, staff and other employees; arrange teaching or rotation schedules for students and new employees.
- Regularly monitor Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Safety and Inspection Control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain standard laboratory equipment.
- Provide advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation/ consultation, and verification of specimen quality and test results.
- Ensure safety information is disseminated promptly to all lab personnel
- Ensure proper waste handling and disposal
- Performs any other duties as assigned to him from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a bachelor’s degree in biomedical laboratory technology or a bachelor’s degree in science technology with a bias in biology and other related fields.
- The applicant must be registered with the Allied Health Professional's Council (AHPC).
- Previous exposure and experience in molecular biology techniques especially HIV genotyping is required.
- Computer literacy skills
- Ability to professionally communicate in writing and verbally or other means deemed appropriate.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications and supporting documents including copies of academic qualifications and Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating names and contacts of three professional referees should either via post to: Manager Human Resource and Development Joint Clinical Research Centre, Plot 101, Lubowa Hill, Entebbe road P.O. Box 10005, Kampala or via email with all documents combined in one PDF document on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 3rd October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline