Job Title: Accounts Officer-Cash
Organization: Malaria Consortium
Project Name: USAID/PMI Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Accountant
Salary: USD 11,520 gross per annum
About Malaria Consortium:
Malaria Consortium is the world’s leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. Malaria Consortium works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
About USAID MAPD Project:
The Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) project is a 5-year USAID/PMI funded project. The project aims to prevent and control Malaria illnesses and deaths in order to minimise the social economic effects of the disease among the overall population of Uganda especially in children under 5 years of age. The project will be implemented starting in August 2016, and will cover 43 districts with a total population of more than 13 million. The Malaria Action Program for Districts project offers a partnership uniquely positioned to deliver this implementation rollout. Partners include Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics (JHPIEGO), Banyan Global, Deloitte &Touché Uganda, Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) and Communication for Development Foundation-Uganda (CDFU).
Job Summary: The Accounts Officer-Cash will offer a service as a cashier to the MAPD Project team whilst safeguarding the project’s cash resources. The Accounts Officer - Cash is responsible for checking the accuracy of all cash transactions and disbursing cash as requested in accordance with the organisation’s financial policy and process.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Finance work: 30%
· Support the finance section as a cashier by delivering and withdrawal of open cheques, take collections after issuing proper receipts and make deposit of all cash collections in a timely, honest and trust worthy manner.
· Responsible for safeguarding the organisation resources by scrutinising payment requests and advising the Financial Accountant of any issues
· Guiding the Financial Accountant on the arising financial matters and sharing areas of concern suggesting solutions
· Arrange for timely bank transfers to the field offices, check approval by budget holders and ensure proper accounting of transfers
Suppliers Invoice- 25%
· Prepare cheque or cash payments and obtain approval by the authorised MC personnel.
· Post payments onto PSF general ledger.
Operations related work: 25%
· Be responsible for issuing travel advances to project managers, consultants and/or any other staff travels and reconciliation of the same on return and chasing up for trip reports
· Assist in issuing payments to trainers, facilitators and consultants both in-house and in the field when there is staff shortage in the Project Support section.
· In charge of archiving all finance documents and ensuring that they are in safe custody and easily accessible by the finance team
Petty Cash: 15%
· In charge of keeping Petty cash using imprest record, making requisitions and reviewing issues as approved by an authorised MC personnel.
· Count Petty Cash on a monthly basis with Financial Accountant.
· Post into General ledger all petty cash vouchers.
· Process payroll monthly, printing and filing necessary reports
· Process automatic payment of staff on 25th day of the month (or nearest working day)
· Allocate and code payroll information to PSF
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Malaria Consortium USAID MAPD Accounts Officer-Cash job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
· One year of related work experience
· Working knowledge of accounting software
· Working knowledge of NGO sector is desired
· Working knowledge and experience in using at least 1 accounting package
· Knowledge and experience using MS-Office packages
· Fluent in English, excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
· Flexible in approach to tasks and working hours
· Excellent analytical skills
· Good excel and other software skills
· Keen attention to detail
Delivering Results: Focuses on delivering contribution to Malaria Consortium and achieving own objectives
· Puts in effort required to ensure the delivery of own work and objectives to meet (and exceed) expectations
· Strong self management of time and effort
· Checks own work to ensure quality Analysis and use of information
Gathers information and identifies problems effectively: Interprets basic written information
· Attentive to detail
· Follows guidelines to identify issues
· Recognises problems within their remit
· Uses appropriate methods for gathering and summarising data
Interpersonal and communications: Listens and clearly presents information
· Actively listens and pays attention
· Presents information and facts in a logical way
· Shares information willingly and on a timely basis
· Communicates honestly, respectfully and sensitively
Collaboration and partnering: Is a good and effective team player
· Is as a good and effective team player
· Knows who their customers are and their requirements.
· Respects and listens to different views/opinions
· Actively collaborates across teams to achieve objectives and develop own thinking
· Proactive in providing and seeking support from team members
Leading and motivating people: Manages own development and seeks opportunities
· Actively manages own development and performance positively
· Learns lessons from successes and failures
· Seeks and explores opportunities within Malaria Consortium which develop skills and expertise
Flexibility/ adaptability: Recognizes own stress levels and adapts
· Recognises limitations and take steps to manage any resulting pressure or stress
· Remains focused on objectives and goal in a rapidly changing environment
· Takes responsibility for own work and for the impact of own actions
Living the Values: Promotes Malaria Consortium values amongst peers
· Shows a readiness to promote Malaria Consortium’s values amongst peers
· Promotes ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness: Manages own workload effectively
· Plans and manages own workload effectively
· Is familiar with Malaria Consortium’s mission and current strategic plan.
· Understands own contribution to Malaria Consortium’s objectives
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 16th September 2016 by 2:30 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline