Job Title: Finance Assistant
Organization: United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance Team Leader
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The United Nations Volunteer will provide financial and administrative support to the Country Office, as well as implementing partners including government, donors and civil society.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the Finance Team Leader, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
In charge of the implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Input to the CO business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management
Accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- In charge of processing of financial documents (take checks for signature and vouchers for approval)
- Banking matters (delivering documents to the bank) and following up on checks delivered to the bank to payment.
- Filling of VAT returns to URA, reconciliation of VAT account and filing of excise duty for fuel refund to the MOF.
Maintenance of Finance Unit Filling system focusing on achieving of the following results:
- In charge of the maintenance of the proper filing system for the finance records and documents.
- Maintenance of the archives, making sure files are properly stored and accessible.
- Opening of new subject files as required and coordinating disposal of old files in accordance with the established retention guidelines.
Furthermore, the UN Volunteers are encouraged to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UN Volunteers Finance Assistant career opportunity should have completed secondary school education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. Possession of a University degree in Commerce, Finance and Accounting, BBA (Accounting Option) or other related field is desirable, but not a requirement.
- At least two or more years of relevant finance experience is required
- Previous exposure and experience in usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), and experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Good team player who has ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
United Nations Volunteers reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this opening for other openings with United Nations Volunteers with similar assignment description, experience and educational requirements.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Volunteers, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 4th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline