Job Title: Associate Finance Officer
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 66276
Reports to: Chief of Unit
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the general supervision of the Chief of Unit, the Associate Finance Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
· Regularly check monthly/quarterly and yearly mission accounts, accounts receivables and payables for submission to UN Headquarters. Review and reconcile various clearing accounts and investigate erroneous/invalid entries to take appropriate corrective accounting action. Record bank charges, revaluation, exchange rate between the bank and UN rates and other transactions. Perform bank reconciliation on a daily basis. Check and post all obligations issued by other units in Umoja. Coordinate with agencies and other organizations to settle debit advices received or send debit advices, ensuring payments are made and accounts effectively reconciled. Review and process payments through UNDP service clearing account.
· The incumbent will review various vouchers and accounting transactions, e.g. payroll, payment of staff entitlements, final payments, travel claims, vendor invoices, agencies, etc., to ensure conformity and adherence to relevant staff rules, financial regulations and rules of the UN. Ensure that staff entitlements such as monthly salary, final payments, home leave and DSA payments are processed accurately and according to the rules and regulations. Process National staff medical claims and Personnel Action. Monitor Pension Fund reports for National Staff and prepare year-end report for submission to New York.
· Review payments to vendors for goods and services, including checking of payments for accuracy and correcting any discrepancies. Post transactions in Umoja.
· Keenly review Vendors invoices and post them in Umoja. Liaise with Procurement and other units on any pending issues regarding contracts and purchase orders. Review and check petty cash and imprest fund reimbursements and create reimbursement transactions in Umoja. Liaise with custodians on data entry to ensure data is in accordance with the accounting procedures and Financial Rules and Regulations.
· Ensure that house bank accounts has sufficient funds at all times to cover all the client mission’s day to day operational requirements and regular payments assigned to it. Prepare and disburse payments/cheques. Prepare receipts and deposit slips for all incoming funds. Assist in cash management, including preparing cash flow forecasts. Assist to make sure cash in vault are accounted for on a daily basis. Respond to queries from staff members and third parties. Supervise General Service or National Staff as required.
· Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations Associate Finance Officer job opportunity should hold a first-level university degree in business or public administration, finance, accounting or related field.
· At least two years of progressively responsible experience in public administration, finance, accounting or related area is required. Experience with an international organization is desirable.
· Languages: Fluency in English is required.
· Professionalism: Ability to identify and resolve budgetary problems and identify sources for data collection. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
· Planning and Organisation: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
· Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
NB: No experience is required for candidates who have passed a United Nations Competitive Recruitment Examination
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (Application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Regional Service Centre at Entebbe (RSCE) in the aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 14th September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline