Job Title: Assistant Administrative/Finance Officer
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10007615
Vacancy Notice: 021/2016
Reports to: Head of Office
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
Post Grade: NOA
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Assistant Administrative/Finance Officer will be tasked with establishing and maintaining efficient administrative services to support the office operation. He/she acts as advisor to the Head of Office, with authority to discuss problems and seek common ground on which to recommend solutions based on predetermined guidelines provided by higher authority. The incumbent directly supervises general service staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Regularly monitor the day-to-day personnel and administrative operations of the office;
- Actively contribute to providing a healthy and respectful working environment, free from hazard or security risks;
- Offer support in the implementation of processes and procedures to improve and strengthen internal controls in line with UNHCR rules and regulations;
- Take part in the physical verification of UNHCR property plant and equipment;
- Actively contribute to the process to determine the country administrative budget;
- Carry out regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts.
- Control and check the monthly accounts and various administrative activities, in order to verify and certify disbursements are in accordance with the administrative budget and UNHCR Financial Rules;
- Offer support in monitoring local compliance with UNHCR policies and processes for cash management, requesting support and guidance when required.
- Support office-level training on financial matters.
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- UNHCR resources in the office are managed in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- UNHCR financial rules and regulations, policies and procedures are adhered to.
- UNHCR local cash is safeguarded.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Assistant Administrative/Finance Officer career placement should hold a University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Public or Business Administration, Economics or related field, OR university degree in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent).
- Professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent) is desired
- At least two years of previous job experience in the field of accounting or finance.
- One year of experience in an intergovernmental organization (United Nations or similar) is desired
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications
- Possess excellent communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
- Good knowledge of United Nations administrative, human resources and financial rules and procedures.
- Working experience with PeopleSoft/Oracle Financial and/or HR modules
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 30th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline