Job Title: Life Skills Assistant
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Funding Source: European Union Emergency Trust Fund for Africa
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Emergency WASH Coordinator
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
About EU Project:
DRC is presently leading a Consortium of four NGOs (DRC, ZOA, Save the Children, and CEFORD) which has been selected to implement a program in Northern Uganda to support the self-reliance, resilience and social stability of displacement-affected communities, South Sudanese refugees and their host communities. The Consortium is implementing a 3-year project implemented by a consortium of NGOs and funded under the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for Africa to respond to refugee settlements in West Nile of Uganda.
Job Summary: The Livelihood & Gender Assistant will be responsible for the day to day Job Summary: The Life Skills Assistant will be responsible for planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting on the adolescent girls in Bidibidi refugee settlement.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· In charge of the design, coordination, implementation and contribution to the effective implementation of the adolescent girls project by working closely with the beneficiaries, local authorities and partners working in the area.
· Responsible for building self esteem and confidence among adolescent girls
· Facilitate development of self management skills among adolescent girls
· Building the capacity of adolescent girls to communicate effectively
· Facilitate adolescent girls to Identify and pursue opportunities for economic empowerment.
· Facilitate and empower adolescent girls to attain finance literacy skills
· Sensitizing adolescent girls on self-reliance, ownership and sustainable development.
· Facilitate adolescent girls to know their human rights and responsibilities
· In charge of promoting sexual reproductive health among adolescent girls.
· Developing strategies for participatory development of activities to meet the needs of the refugee adolescent girls.
· Prepare a detailed monthly action plan and share with the Emergency WASH Coordinator for final review and approval. Identify clearly the specific problems to be addressed by the action and the perceived needs and constraints of the target groups and particularly how the action will provide the desired solutions.
· Ensure timely field assessment/monitoring visits are conducted on project activities to ascertain the progress, challenges and propose solutions to the same.
· Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly and annual narrative reports and appendices on all activities under Livelihood as required by Danish Refugee Council Uganda and Donors.
· Follow up all DRC / DDG Procedures for Security, Finance, Logistics, HR and Administration.
· Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability.
· Perform any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Life Skills Assistant career placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Development studies and Social Work/Administration.
· One to two years’ work experience in a busy organization, preferably in a refugee setting
· Good communication and writing skills in English.
· A pro-active person who is able to work independently and at the same time a good team-player.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
· Computer literate (proficiency in MS word, excel).
· Ability to work in a culturally diverse set up.
· Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage.
· Proven commitment to accountable practices.
· Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
· Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
· Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
· Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
· Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including;
· A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria
· Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line as “Life Skills Assistant.”
Deadline: 18th September 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline