Job Title: Education Field Officer
Organization: Plan International
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Programme Manager
Plan International was founded over 75 years ago and is one of the oldest and largest children’s development organizations (non-profit / INGOs) in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty. Plan’s vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
Job Summary: The Education Field Officer will support the Integrated Early Childhood Development in refugee & host communities Project to carry out the day-to-day implementation of Integrated Early Childhood Development in refugee host communities’ project interventions in Arua under Adjumani Office. The incumbent will work closely with the project team and other project stakeholders (local government, NGO partners, communities). He/she will also ensure that the project activities are implemented in a timely and efficient manner in a bid to contribute to improved early childhood development and education related interventions among the refugee and host community girls and boys.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Scaling-up of ECCD Interventions and in particular the establishment of the programme team for ECCD Implementation:
- Conducts knowledge and skills gaps among ECCD caregivers/facilitators and other key associated stakeholders and develop capacity building plans to address identified capacity building needs.
- Develops/adapts relevant/appropriate training curriculum for training ECCD caregivers/facilitators, Center Management Committees, Parents Groups and any critical stakeholders associated with ECCD.
- Delivers relevant training for ECCD caregivers/facilitators, Center Management Committees, Parents Groups and any critical stakeholders associated with ECCD to enable them to support appropriate ECCD activities, including sustainability of ECCD interventions.
- Conducts and/or supervises monitors and evaluates relevant trainings for effectiveness.
- Supports coaching and mentoring of ECCD caregivers/facilitators to enable them to more effectively deliver preschool education activities.
- Offers on-going technical supervision to ECCD caregivers/facilitators and relevant stakeholders to provide quality ECCD emergency response interventions.
- Maintains the database to monitor ECCD children and facilitators and promote capacity building initiatives.
- Offers technical guidance in the establishment of new ECCD centres.
- Recruits, trains and coaches local staff as per guidelines and regulations.
- Mentors and supervises local staff and creates a positive and productive working environment.
- Creates and maintains duty schedules.
- Regularly evaluates staff as per guidelines.
Technical support to the Emergency programme in scaling-up of ECCD appropriate parenting and community based programmes:
- Strengthens parents and community engagement in the running and support to ECCD centre and outreach services.
- The incumbent mobilises and educates parents and community members to participate in ECCD interventions within the centres and at community level.
- Support the formation, training and operationalisation of strong CFS/ECCD Centre Management Committees for each of the centres.
- Coordinates with all the key partners in the district to enhance mutual support and establish a strong humanitarian networking framework.
- Supports the documentation and sharing of learning, knowledge and experience generated from Plan International Uganda’s Education/ECCD interventions as widely as possible.
- Prepares and submits weekly and monthly reports in writing, including ECCD stock reports , order overviews and asset inventory.
Networking and Coordination Representative of Plan International Uganda in the Education and sometimes Child Protection Working Group meetings in Adjumani district:
- Builds and maintain sustainable relationships with local and international NGOs, Government departments and UN bodies involved in Education/ECCD work.
- Coordinates with relevant stakeholders to ensure strong internal programme integration and external programme.
- Stays abreast with the developments within the ECCD field and shares best practices within and outside Plan International Uganda.
- Provides support to Plan International Uganda teams and communities to identify and access resources that will enable them to meet the needs of ECCD children.
Developing of ECCD Fundraising Strategy & tools, writing of proposals for any potential funding opportunities: Supports the Emergency Response Team in compiling the concept papers/ proposals of preschool education/ ECCD projects for submission to donors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Plan International Education Field Officer career placement should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Education/ECCD
- At least two years of professional humanitarian experience.
- Previous experience in community development or with NGO.
- Prior experience of implementing and/or managing programs for children 0-5;
- Prior exposure and experience of managing projects, including project design, monitoring and evaluation (i.e. preparation of documents and reports for external dissemination).
- Previous experience of and demonstrated ability to effectively network with a diverse range of organisations and government bodies
- Experience of working with refugee communities
- Demonstrated empathy and positive attitude towards children ages 0-5, their caregivers, and other stakeholders;
- Excellent writing, facilitation, and organisational skills.
- Prior demonstrated results within the UN system or INGO is an asset. .
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Strong drive for results and ensuring timely delivery of quality products.
- Knowledge on Tackling Inequality and Exclusion
- Ability to ride a motorcycle is a MUST
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft office programmes including MS Excel, MS Word and MS Power Point.
- Strong skills in teamwork and networking.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Excellent skills in documentation and report writing
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills in multi-cultural contexts
- Ability to generate and interpret financial reports using excel
- Fluency with the local language specifically Lugbara
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their letters of application, together with updated CVs, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant certificates, names and contact details of three references plus salary history and send to:
The Ag. Country Human Resources Manager,
Email to: email@example.com.
NB: Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful in case you do not hear from us by 30th November 2016.
Deadline: 30th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline