Job Title: Accounts Officer-General Ledger
Organization: Malaria Consortium
Project Name: USAID/PMI Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Accountant
Salary: USD 11,520 gross per annum
About Malaria Consortium:
Malaria Consortium is the world’s leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. Malaria Consortium works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
About USAID MAPD Project:
The Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) project is a 5-year USAID/PMI funded project. The project aims to prevent and control Malaria illnesses and deaths in order to minimise the social economic effects of the disease among the overall population of Uganda especially in children under 5 years of age. The project will be implemented starting in August 2016, and will cover 43 districts with a total population of more than 13 million. The Malaria Action Program for Districts project offers a partnership uniquely positioned to deliver this implementation rollout. Partners include Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics (JHPIEGO), Banyan Global, Deloitte &Touché Uganda, Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) and Communication for Development Foundation-Uganda (CDFU).
Job Summary: The Accounts Officer-General Ledger will maintain complete, accurate and timely data on the financial system for MAPD Project. The Accounts Officer - GL is responsible for checking the accuracy of all transactions posted to the ledgers on the finance system.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Finance work: 50%
· Check travel advance and activity advance, identifying unrealistic and suspicious accountabilities. Making sure that the organisation’s financial regulations are followed. Follow up staff on completing accountabilities and resolving any issues that arise.
· The incumbent will properly filing the documents once posting is complete.
· Support to field offices in organising advance transfers and reconciling the bank accounts
· Clear the inter-country holding account
· Guiding the Senior Accountant on the arising financial matters and sharing areas of concern suggesting solutions
· Support in orienting the new MAPD Project staff on management of activity and travel advances.
· Support the Senior Accountant as necessary with month end close process
· Follow-up the stock balance of MC financial documents (checks, vouchers etc) and make a timely order before stock out occurs
· Post any advances to partners to the partner ledger and ensure settlement and accountability of advances.
Payroll (2%): Post payroll information to PSF
Supplier Invoices – 20% Post all supplier invoices and payments to the purchase ledger and cashbooks and ensure the purchase control is reconciled on a monthly basis.
Operations related work: 25%
· In -charge of collating timesheets of the relevant staff members and cover up for finance staff on leave or sick.
· Other duties as required by the Senior Accountant and the Finance Manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Malaria Consortium USAID MAPD Accounts Officer- General Ledger career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
· One year of related work experience work experience
· Working knowledge of accounting software
· Knowledge of NGO sector
· Good excel and other software skills
· Flexible in approach to tasks and working hours
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Keen attention to detail
· Excellent analytical skills
· Good excel and other software skills
Delivering Results: Focuses on delivering contribution to Malaria Consortium and achieving own objectives
· Puts in effort required to ensure the delivery of own work and objectives to meet (and exceed) expectations
· Strong self management of time and effort
· Checks own work to ensure quality
Analysis and use of information: Gathers information and identifies problems effectively
· Interprets basic written information
· Attentive to detail
· Follows guidelines to identify issues
· Recognises problems within their remit
· Uses appropriate methods for gathering and summarising data
Interpersonal and communications: Listens and clearly presents information
· Actively listens and pays attention
· Presents information and facts in a logical way
· Shares information willingly and on a timely basis
· Communicates honestly, respectfully and sensitively
Collaboration and Partnering: Is a good and effective team player
· Is as a good and effective team player
· Knows who their customers are and their requirements.
· Respects and listens to different views/opinions
· Actively collaborates across teams to achieve objectives and develop own thinking
· Proactive in providing and seeking support from team members
Leading and Motivating people: Manages own development and seeks opportunities
· Actively manages own development and performance positively
· Learns lessons from successes and failures
· Seeks and explores opportunities within Malaria Consortium which develop skills and expertise
Flexibility/ adaptability: Recognizes own stress levels and adapts
· Recognises limitations and take steps to manage any resulting pressure or stress
· Remains focused on objectives and goal in a rapidly changing environment
· Takes responsibility for own work and for the impact of own actions
Living the Values: Promotes Malaria Consortium values amongst peers
· Shows a readiness to promote Malaria Consortium’s values amongst peers
· Promotes ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness: Manages own workload effectively
· Plans and manages own workload effectively
· Is familiar with Malaria Consortium’s mission and current strategic plan.
· Understands own contribution to Malaria Consortium’s objectives
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 16th September 2016 by 2:30 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline