Job Title: Accountant
Organization: Ministry of Works and Transport
Project Name: Standard Gauge Railway Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Accountant
The Government of Uganda through the Ministry of Works and Transport is spearheading the development of the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) network. The SGR project is being implemented over five (5) years as a regional project with Uganda’s partner states of Kenya, Rwanda and South Sudan. The objective of developing the SGR network is to provide a modern, fast, reliable, efficient, and high capacity railway transport system as a seamless single railway operation.
Job Summary: The Accountant will perform accounting duties involving tracking accountability, vouching for completeness, up-dating and maintaining books of accounts and, producing routine financial statements and reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will examine correctness of payment requests, completeness of documentation and certify requisition or, transactions for further processing;
- The jobholder will verify receipts, match and undertake on-line reconciliation of invoices and Local Purchase Orders for goods and services procured prior to effecting payments;
- The incumbent will compile accountability returns, verify and retire advance ledgers;
- Maintain primary financial records and up-to-date books of account;
- Prepare periodic reconciliations of financial statements and carry out monthly cash book reconciliations to bank statements;
- Regularly verify payroll change requests and reports to ensure correctness of computations, payments and deductions; certify and follow-up approval and payment to beneficiaries.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Accountant must hold a Bachelor (Hons) Degree in Commerce, Business Administration or Finance majoring in Accounting and possession of at least Level II of ACCA or CPA.
- A minimum of two years’ experience as an accountant in busy public sector organisation.
- Personal Competencies: financial management; team work; planning organising and Coordination; effective communication; ethics and integrity; result orientation; computer literacy
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandans should send written applications with letters of recommendation from either the current or previous employer(s) covering the last three consecutive years of employment, copies of academic certificates & transcripts, previous and current appointment letters, curriculum vitae, and a recent passport size colour photograph.
Applications should be addressed to:-
The Project Coordinator, Standard Gauge Railway Project,
P. O. Box 27756, Kampala. Uganda
Applications should be delivered to the …New Vision Offices…
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and Canvassing or lobbying by applicants will lead to disqualification.
- Candidates who present forged documents/testimonials will be arrested and prosecuted.
- Envelopes containing applications should be clearly marked with both the position applied for and duty station.
Deadline: 28th September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline