Job Title: Finance Officer
Duty Station: Gulu, Uganda
Salary Range: UGX 40,000,000 p.a.
Reports to: Finance Coordinator
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The Finance Officer will assist the Finance Coordinator in effectively managing the budget of the field office, to ensure accuracy and that the Head of Programmes (HoP) is informed of the financial position.
· Support the finance team in effectively managing the budgets of programmes based in Northern Uganda, to ensure accuracy and that the PMs and HoP are kept informed of the financial position of each project.
· Assist the Finance Coordinator in preparing the annual budget for the field office and the Northern Uganda based programmes.
· Provide technical input into the Quarterly Business Review process.
Financial Support and control-
Be a responsible for the following financial matters in the field office:
· Review of the purchase requisitions prepared by the Logistics Assistant for accuracy, compliance with VSOU procurement policy and value for money prior to sign off by the HoP
· Ensuring supplier invoices are matched to LPOs
· Processing cash payments and receipts and maintenance of the daily cash book
· Control of petty cash and performance of cash counts
· Keenly review of stock levels and support the logistics assistant with stock counts
· Review of volunteer and staff expense claims to ensure they are in line with VSOU policy prior to sign off by the HoP
· In charge of the preparation of business advance requisitions for submission to the HoP
· Collection of repayments of advances and monitoring of debt control accounts
· Data entry into the SUN accounting system to deadlines and in an accurate manner
· In charge of the maintenance of all financial records at the Gulu site in line with record keeping procedures.
· Managing the timetable for, and obtaining partner accountabilities, reconciling them, liaise with the Finance Manager to clear them and input them into Sun 5
Be responsible for ensuring that the following submissions are made to the Kampala office to meet month end deadlines:
· Notification of any asset purchases
· Notification of any payroll new starters/leavers and private mileage
· Preparation of monthly cash flow forecast and submission of funding requisitions for the field office
Be able to advise on:
· Payroll processes
· Expenditure authority limits
· Local taxation procedures
Grant Management and Financial Capacity – Support the Country Finance Manager to:
· Manage the partner/donor reporting timetable for the Northern Uganda based programs and ensure reports are produced in a timely manner
· Support and advise partners in submitting their reports and accountabilities
· Prepare restricted donor reports
· Support the finance manager to produce high quality monthly management reports for the Country Director and the London based finance team, advising on any variances.
· Report internally and externally where appropriate.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree.
· Technical Accounting Expertise–Part qualified Accountant, ideally studying to complete an accounting qualification.
· A minimum of three years’ experience of financial planning, book keeping practice and principle, knowledge of internal controls, general ledger, cash management and reconciliations, payroll processing and taxation.
· Good technical accounting skills.
· Previous experience of financial reporting, measurement and analysis.
· Experience of rules and regulations for non-profit organisations.
· Working knowledge of donor financial reporting and donor procurement procedures.
· Experience of working in multiple foreign currencies and understanding of foreign exchange hedging.
· Financial and Information Technology Systems – Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel particularly. Use of accounting software, SUN Accounts system preferred.
· Communication and Influencing Skills–Good written and verbal communication skills - able to listen, present, discuss, report, put views forward, negotiate with confidence. Sensitivity to cultural and language differences, able to interact with people at all levels of the organisation. Able to work with others in a consultative way, ability to withstand and resolve conflict, negotiating professional solutions. Commitment to VSO’s work and values
· Decision making and planning – professional judgement and discernment. Capacity for inquiry, research, logical and analytical thinking, powers of reasoning and critical analysis. Experience of decision modelling.
· Risk Management - Experience of identifying and analysing financial risks.
· Planning and Organisation – Able to prioritise within restricted resources to tight deadlines. Able to anticipate and adapt to change. Strong attention to detail. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Self motivated to set initiatives and self learn.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the web link below.