Job Title: WASH Officer
Organization: Plan International
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Emergency Response Manager
Plan International was founded over 75 years ago and is one of the oldest and largest children’s development organizations (non-profit / INGOs) in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty. Plan’s vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
Job Summary: The WASH Officer will carry out the day-to-day implementation of Protection and WASH Services for South Sudanese Refugee and Vulnerable Host Community Children and Families Project interventions in Adjumani Office. The incumbent will ensure that the project activities are implemented in a timely and efficient manner to ensure access to protection and WASH services for 4,500 girls, boys and 1,500 adult community members in the targeted two (2) newly established refugee settlements and host communities in Maaji III and Pagirinya in Adjumani district.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participates in developing Project Outline, quarterly and monthly project work-plans and budgets.
- Manages project budget allocated in delivery of WASH under emergency
- Works closely with the District Water Department and Hygiene and Sanitation clusters at community levels in identifying, mobilising and sensitising target communities for water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Organises capacity building sessions for hygiene promoters, hand pump mechanics & water source and sanitation committees (WSCs).
- Organises awareness raising activities, including training of youths and adults on Menstruation Hygiene Management (MHM).
- Compiles activity and monthly reports for submission to the Emergency Response Manager.
- Maintains project documents for safety and easy retrieval.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Plan International WASH Officer job placement should preferably hold a degree in Public Health, Social Science, Social Work, Development Studies or related discipline.
- A minimum of two years’ experience of working on WASH initiatives under Emergency context.
- Knowledge of National WASH Policy & standards
- Broad knowledge of emergency response management
- Knowledge of sanitation promotion approaches including CLTS, PHASE, PHAST, CHAST, Child- to- Child, & Menstrual Hygiene Management
- Computer literacy skills i.e. knowledge in Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel and Power Point presentation)
- Knowledge on Tackling Inequality and Exclusion
- Ability to ride a motorcycle is a MUST
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft office programmes, including MS Excel, MS Word and MS Power Point.
- Strong skills in teamwork and networking.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Excellent skills in documentation and report writing
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills in multi-cultural contexts
- Ability to generate and interpret financial reports using excel
- Ability to work under pressure & culturally sensitive environments
- Fluent with the local language specifically Maadi.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their letters of application, together with updated CVs, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant certificates, names and contact details of three references plus salary history and send to:
The Ag. Country Human Resources Manager,
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NB: Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful in case you do not hear from us by 30th November 2016.
Deadline: 30th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline