Job Title: Telecom Operator
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10026386
Vacancy Notice: 018/2016
Reports to: Associate Administrative Officer
Duty Station: Adjumani, Uganda
Post Grade: GL4
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Telecom Operator will offer support to the associate Administrative Officer. The incumbent will also refer to technical manuals and UNHCR instructions concerning telecom operations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Distributes incoming cables, messages, and other communication in accordance with established instructions;
- The jobholder also ensures that all communications handed to him/her for transmission are properly prepared and authorized and promptly transmitted;
- The incumbent selects the most efficient and economic means for the transmission of messages, taking into consideration the nature and priority of communications to be transmitted;
- Maintains a station log where all occurrences related to the operation of the telecommunication equipment are entered;
- The incumbent ensures that no unauthorised communications are exchanged on the network; - Ensures that all the equipment placed under his/her responsibility is maintained in good working condition;
- Supports new staff members in the proper operation of telecommunication equipment;
- May perform secretarial functions, such as handling paper work on routine, matters, arranges appointment/meetings both internally and externally, screening telephone calls, types a wide variety of materials from drafts, printed text, using a word processor.
- May assist in making Travel arrangements.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Telecom Operator job vacancy should have completed secondary education with training or Certificate in radio/telecommunications.
- At least two years of related work experience
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
- Ability to work as part of a team but also independently, in a multi-cultural environment.
- Knowledge of the UN system.
- Ability to work in remote areas.
- English language is essential, Madi, Lugbara and Aringa.
- Another UN language and good knowledge of the local language an asset.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 24th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline