Job Title: Counsellor
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Retrak is an international non-profit UK charity working with street connected children in Uganda, Ethiopia, Malawi, Tanzania and Kenya. Retrak works to transform highly vulnerable children’s lives; preserve families; empower communities and give each of them a voice. Retrak’s vision is of a world where no child is forced to live on the streets. Today, Retrak operates extensive programmes across Africa reintegrating thousands of children to a safe and secure home and community.
Job Summary: The Counsellor will offer psychological support and research in therapeutic work to help street connected children/clients with a variety of problems. These problems can include difficult life issues and mental health conditions. Practicing as a counsellor requires a high level of training and self-awareness, achieved through personal therapy. You also need to be able to work collaboratively with the children in a holistic and insightful way to enable them to consider change.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should preferably hold a first degree in Counselling Psychology, social work and social administration, social sciences, or an equivalent from a highly reputable University.
· The applicant must have worked in a highly reputable organisation in a social development position managing child welfare, protection, counselling and case management for at least a year of post qualification experience.
· Skills and knowledge on child growth and development stages and child psychology; having experience in handling challenges associated with the children in vulnerable and violent circumstances.
· Familiarity with all matters of child protection and have a good track record on respecting and protecting the rights of children proven by a certificate of good conduct from Interpol.
· Computer literacy i.e. knowledge and application of basic computer packages.
· Required to have a certificate of good conduct from the Uganda police force.
· Proficiency in the 3 local languages (i.e Luganda, Rwanyakitara, and Luo) is a key strength.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an application, updated CV with contact addresses of three professional referees and a 2/3 page of capability statement, testimonials/ certificates to the following email address: UgandaOffice@retrak.org or hand deliver to Retrak Head Office Rubaga Road, former Mwanga 2 Court, P.O. Box 7737, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 20th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline