Job Title: Legal Officer
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Protection and Rule of Law Manager
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. It was created by Albert Einstein more than 80 years and has been working in Uganda since 1998. It has particularly working in the conflict zones where tens of thousands of people have been kills and over 1.6 million displaced. Following a peace agreement in 2006, Ugandans are returning home and looking to rebuild their lives. The IRC is there to protect women and children from violence and exploitation by fostering a safe environment and encouraging education, and is supporting farmers and small businesses, and helping communities promote peace and long-term development.
IRC is working in collaboration with OPM, UNHCR and other agencies to provide multi-sector assistance program in Bidibidi Refugee Settlement in Yumbe District, which is now home to approximately 20,000 South Sudanese refugees.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer will identify legal needs in the field, provide counseling and assistance including representation in relevant administrative bodies in close collaboration with the Protection and Rule of Law Manager. The Legal Officer will be responsible for conducting legal information sessions on protection, rights and entitlements, legal status and other issues, as dictated by the needs at field level. The Legal Officer will work with protection committees to support advocacy at the community level along with the Protection Officers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The incumbent will identify legal needs in the field and provide on-site counseling to Persons of Concern;
· Under the guidance of their direct supervisor, assist persons of concern by representing them in relevant administrative bodies;
· Carry out case intake on site utilizing digital data collection system;
· Deliver information sessions on protection, rights and entitlements, legal status, statelessness and other issues as dictated by the needs at field-level;
· Engage in mediation and negotiation as needed (e.g. on housing, land and property issues);
· Keenly analyze data and highlight trends and legal protection needs;
· Under the guidance of direct supervisor, facilitate one-on-one interviews and focus group discussions with refugees, host community members, state actors and service providers in the field on selected protection and legal concerns;
· Keep records of the urgent legal needs identified and the actions taken to assist affected PoCs;
· Prepare and submit weekly reports on activities based on IRC and UNHCR tools;
· Work to strengthen IRC’s relationship with refugees, refugee/host community leaders and municipal actors in order to maintain good access to POCs; and
· Perform any other duties as requested by the Protection and Rule of Law Manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for this vacancy must hold a Law degree
· A minimum of two years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international organization.
· Belief in human rights including gender equality.
· Excellent communication skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of International Human Rights and Refugee Law;
· Computer skills in MS Office
· Previous experience in regular report writing.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
· Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
· Experience in assessments, report writing and proposal development
· Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
· Language Skills: Good standard of spoken and written English language skills desirable
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 8th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline