Job Title: National Potato Coordinator
Organisation: International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC)
Project Name: Resilient Efficient Agribusiness Chains (REACH) project
Funding Source: Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
Reports to: Chief / Deputy Chief of Party
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is a public international organization (PIO) governed by an international board of directors with representation from developed and developing nations. The non-profit center focuses on increasing and sustaining food and agricultural productivity in developing countries through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise.
About REACH Project:
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) has submitted a proposal for the REACH (Resilient Efficient Agribusiness Chains) project to the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Kampala, Uganda. The project will improve market engagement for 40,000 market oriented farmers, strengthen household resilience and increase availability of agricultural support services for farmers and businesses in the rice and potato value chains in consideration of their strategic importance to the Government of Uganda and EKN.
Job Summary: The National Potato Coordinator will mainly manage potato-related activities undertaken by the project including coordination of grantee activities in production of clean planting materials, multiplication of seed potato and postharvest handling & marketing structures. The role will also be responsible for coordination of any National Variety Performance Trials to be undertaken for potatoes. This will require close interaction and coordination with government and non-government partners, including farmer organizations, agribusiness stakeholders, agro-input dealers, NGOs, international research organizations, and government research & extension. The focus of this role is to ensure effective coordination between the different and varied elements of the project and actors responsible for the execution of activities related to the potato sector. The NPC will be expected to work with partners to develop work plans and roll out strategies which ensure the achievement of deliverables in a timely manner achieving maximum value for money.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Make sure there is effective coordination between IFDC, partners and grantees working the potato sector.
- Carry out quality training-of-trainers as well as direct farmer training.
- Work closely with and monitor partners tasked on the development and dissemination of seed potato materials to ensure that targets both in terms of volumes of materials to be produced and agreed timelines are met.
- Assure NVPTs are well-implemented, and that all requirements for the completion of Distinctness, Uniformity & Stability (DUS) tests are met.
- Work in liaison with partners to assure accurate data collection and reporting for M&E purposes
- Identify production constraints or bottlenecks and develop means to address them
- Work closely with IFDC regional teams and National Farming as a Business Coordinator and National Agribusiness Coordinator to ensure proper coordination of activities in the potato sector.
- Link with private sector actors and colleagues to enhance farmer and agribusiness actors’ access to outputs generated by these activities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) National Potato Coordinator job opportunity must hold an Honors degree in Crop Science/Agronomy, with post graduate qualifications preferred.
- At least ten years’ experience with a recognized organization in agronomy or crop science, with extensive experience in farmer training, and crop research management.
- Broad knowledge of commercial production of potatoes.
- Previous experience of working with both private and public sector in potato value chain
- Farming-as-a-business experience
- Familiarity with production and post-harvest handling of seed potato
- Ability to communicate effectively with value-chain actors at all levels involved in the project and to stimulate a genuinely participatory process
- Ability to coordinate training programs, field days, and other events
- Ability to work independently and to take initiative
- Excellent communication and reporting skills in English
- Fluency in language(s) in region of operation
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team and possess strong interpersonal skills
- Willingness to travel extensively nationally.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) should Apply Online by clicking on the link below. Follow the instructions on how to create resume and Apply.
Deadline: 3rd October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline