Job Title: Director Operations
Organisation: University Research Co., LLC (URC)
Project Name: USAID Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve Systems (ASSIST) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of Party
University Research Co., LLC (URC) is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
About USAID ASSIST Project:
The USAID Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve Systems (ASSIST) Project is a five-year cooperative agreement (October 2012-September 2017) awarded to University Research Co., LLC and is dedicated to improving health, population and nutrition services through technical support to service delivery institutions, country Ministries of Health, USAID country missions, and cooperating agencies.
Job Summary: The Director Operations will be responsible for leading, supervising and managing URC ASSIST Administrative team towards effective implementation of technical Programs and general operations in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Oversee and ensure effective administrative Support to all technical teams for successful implementation of all activities including trainings, workshops, meetings, conferences to achieve the strategic objectives of the project.
· Work closely with the technical, admin and finance departments to ensure timely facilitation and smooth running of the project activities to achieve the strategic objectives.
· Actively participate in work plan development and tracking meetings (annual and quarterly) with the entire project team.
· Coordinate program implementation, including effective provision of’ administrative and logistic support in office and field activities.
Management and supervision of project procurement, administration support and operational logistics functions
· Overseeing procurement function and ensure that our procurement processes are done with due diligence, transparence, efficiency, effectiveness.
· Work closely with the Finance Director to ensure administrative and financial needs for program activities are efficiently and timely addressed.
· Work in liaison with operations team to ensure that all supplies are availed to staff to enable them work in efficient and effective means.
· Ensure compliancy of the procurement process and maintenance of the established URC/USAID procurement policies; review the PR, PO and negotiation memo.
· Oversee the tracking of project inventory tracking into the URC format including equipment, furniture and vehicles for sharing periodically with the HQ.
· In charge of developing and maintaining cost effective, streamlined procedures and systems to achieve more efficient provision of goods and services.
· Develop and maintain cost effective, streamlined procedures and systems to achieve more efficient provision of goods and services procured.
· Oversee local contract management ensure that contracts, leases and other agreements are properly prepared, monitored and updated so as to meet agency needs and to comply with legal obligations
· Ensure that staff adhere to all URC procurement procedures.
Leadership and Supervision of Administration/ people management:
· Directly supervise the administrative team and ensure that the team efficiently and effectively supports the technical program to provide desirable results.
· Supervision of the team: Operations Manager, program officer, Procurement officer, Administrative assistant, the IT support person and Security Officer and ensure effective performance.
· Ensure effective team work for Admin & Finance units and ensure focused Team meetings
Policy and regulation Compliance:
· Carry out internal audits and reviews, as required, to ensure compliance with URC standards, donor requirements, and internationally accepted accounting practices.
· Stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations; compile and update applicable local policies; and train URC's program staff in these policies.
· Work closely with COP to ensure efficient functioning of administrative and logistics processes and maintaining adequate internal control;
· Work with the technical staff to ensure project activities comply with the policies and regulations of USAID, URC and local labour laws.
Oversee the Security function of the organization: Supervising the guard and the security company and ensure that work place security is guaranteed.
Communicating with HQ on operations matters on a regular basis:
· Communicating with HQ on operations matters on a regular basis. This includes, working with the project coordinator, contracts department and other departments on the review and timely approval of various procurement documentation.
· Actively contributing to ongoing URC administrative process improvements, representing the Uganda office in policy development while implementing company policies.
Coordinate Travel Arrangements (both local and International trips):
· Coordinating the International travel arrangements and ensure they are prepared and done in compliance with USAID travel regulations and URC procedures.
· Oversee the supervise management of project fleet of vehicles and ensure proper maintenance.
· Overseeing the local transport management and company fleet to ensure effective transport arrangement for effective implementation of the program work.
Acts as focal person with external companies especially vendors and ensure good working relationships
· Manage the services of the contracted companies to USAID ASSIST to ensure that they meet the obligations ensure that URC gets Value for money.
· Ensure timely and systematic vendor payment in collaboration with the procurement officer/admin unit and Project Finance team, coordinate payment of goods and services upon receipt of invoices in accordance with URC policies and ensure compliance with USAID financial and procurement policies and procedures.
Other responsibilities: Any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants for the USAID ASSIST Director Operations job vacancy must hold a Master's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or other relevant field.
· A minimum of seven years’ experience in administration and program management of large international projects including experience in management of USG funded projects.
· Broad knowledge and experience working with USAID and other major donors is required.
· Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills.
· Broad knowledge of USAID Rules and Regulations.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send application letters, updated CVs, and relevant academic documents as well as names and contact information for three professional references and day time contact numbers to:
The Human Resource Officer- USAID ASSIST Project,
University Research Co., LLC, Plot 40, Ntinda II Road, Naguru,
P.O. Box 28745, Kampala, Uganda.
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 9th September 2016 by 4:00 PM
NB: Please indicate the position in the subject if you are sending electronically. Applications will be shortlisted as they come in and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline