Job Title: Communications Officer
Organisation: Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevoelkerung (DSW)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
DSW (Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevoelkerung) is an international development and advocacy organisation with headquarters in Hannover, offices in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, and liaison offices in Berlin and Brussels. In addition, we are working in partnership with sub-grantees in Burkina Faso, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, India, Indonesia, Nepal, and Pakistan. DSW is politically and religiously independent. It has a Board of Directors and an Advisory Board that advises and monitors its operations. DSW is a partner of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and has consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
Job Summary: The Communication Officer supports the department in successfully implementing its goals. The Communications Officer is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring communications activities of one or several specific projects General areas of responsibility: Coordinate and implement Country Office communications strategy, media / press outreach and visibility strategies, including CO corporate publications.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer technical support, backstopping and resources about the latest developments in the field of communications to the CO communications staff
- Keenly monitor quality improvement and implementation of DSW Corporate Design Manual
- Support resource mobilisation efforts to ensure funds for communications programs are available
- Represents DSW overall perspectives and interests to external and internal stakeholders
- Support the process of quality control and maintenance of DSW CO website Coordinate successful implementation of PR campaigning projects Lead in documentation of promising practices and impact stories
- Actively participate in advocacy events/ activities at various levels these include civic education activities, budgeting as well as meetings with decision makers to name but a few.
- Take part in internal training for advocacy and resource mobilisation in addition to involvement in provision of technical assistance to partners.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should preferably hold bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication, Journalism or related field.
- At least three years’ experience in working with a non for profit organisations or a reputable community based organisation
- Prior experience in writing news articles, feature stories and compelling photos
- Proficiency in communication software such as Adobe in Design, Adobe Photoshop, illustrator and basics of HTML
- Basic knowledge of working with donors and donor language
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team work
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills and fluent in English language both spoken and written Excellent computer skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications (CV and motivation letter indicating salary expectation) with the subject matter “Communications Officer” addressed to the National Team Coordinator- Admin & Human Resource to: email@example.com
Deadline: 7th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline