Job Title: Assistant Livelihoods Officer
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10023092
Vacancy Notice: 021/2016
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
Post Grade: NOA
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Assistant Livelihoods Officer will have overall responsibility to guide and support the livelihood programme, and work closely with partners in the programme. The incumbent will have extensive contacts with both internal and external counterparts and partners in Uganda. Within UNHCR, the incumbent will establish close working relations with the relevant staff working in the community services, program and field sectors. Key external partners will include Isingiro, Kyegegwa and Kamwenge District authorities, office of the Prime Minister, Private and Official organisation (NEMA,UWA, IUCN), UNHCR implementing and operational partners, International and Local NGOs, development agencies (e.g. UNDP, FAO,WFP, ILO) and other actors with expertise in livelihood programming and micro-finance. The incumbent will work in collaboration with other actors, implement any planned training/ knowledge sharing events for staff of implementing partners and government officials on programming techniques relevant to livelihoods. Identify and actively partner with other actors and structures potentially able to contribute to the strategies and solutions for refugees.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in the UNHCR operations planning, advise on activities to meet basic needs, improve socio-economic self-reliance of persons of concern, build peaceful co-existence between the refugees and host communities, and advocate for the inclusion of livelihood priorities into the country operation plan.
- Take part in inter-agency programming processes, namely joint needs assessments, at national and local level government levels.
- Offer support in organizing and/or participate in evaluations and or/reviews of UNHCR livelihood programmes in order to allow for informed revisions of operational priorities including exit strategies
- The jobholder will oversee livelihood activities to improve efficiency and to compliment the services they provide.
- Support senior managers in resource mobilization by drafting project documents and reporting on progress on livelihoods projects.
- Coordinate livelihoods projects with partners including IPs, operational partners, government, offices and civil societies.
- Ensure a comprehensive livelihoods needs assessment is produced, partners well-coordinated and more partners brought on board, livelihood intervention are well monitored and required reports produced on timely basis
- Perform other duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- A clear direction supporting livelihood and self-reliance developed.
- Livelihood intervention technically guided producing required results.
- Percentage of the refugee population supported to be self-reliance.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Assistant Livelihoods Officer job placement should possess a Bachelor’s degree in Development Studies (including Development Economics, Finance and Management), Rural Development (including Agriculture and Livestock), Business development and management.
- A minimum of four years of relevant professional experience in livelihoods and re-integration promotion for conflict affected population, poor or vulnerable population in urban and rural areas.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 30th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline