Job Title: Area Manager
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Arua, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Area Manager will ensure quality implementation of diverse projects (emergency and long term refugee assistance projects as well development oriented project to support host communities), ensure compliance to financial and administrative procedures for the project, and responsible for the planning and implementation of adequate security precautions within the programme area to ensure the safety of all staff and assets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements
- Ensure effective implementation of DRC’s multi-sectoral emergency and longer term support to refugees in West Nile.
- Provide effective supervision to DRC’s longer term development focused project under DAR3 in the host communities
- Prepare and submit project work plans in accordance with annual planning and funding cycles;
- Ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analysed and distributed and that relevant assessments are conducted in the project area;
- Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations, based on agreed formats and schedules;
- Assist in implementation of DRC’s M&E plans for the projects
- Work closely with the Head of Programs to identify opportunities for new projects;
- Support the Head of Program to plan and develop concept papers, budgets and project proposals;
Administration and Personnel Management:
- Supervise budgeting and project expenditures with assistance from the Grants and Finance staff and support from the HOFA Uganda;
- Supervise human resources in the West Nile program. This includes further development of staff job descriptions, their training and monitoring, and recruitment;
- Implement and monitor (and where necessary revise) implementation of DRC administrative guidelines and -policies, safety– and security procedures, logistics support and other tasks associated with efficient day-to-day running of the operations;
- In charge of organisational development for the program, including staff assessments.
- External relations
- Build and maintain close relations with all relevant stakeholders including the donor and UN agencies, officials of the Office of the Prime Minister, district- and sub-county authorities, other donor representatives, INGOs, NGOs and CBOs;
- Actively participate in the relevant sector coordination meetings in the field and ensure DRC’s inputs to development of assistance modalities that adheres to humanitarian principles and other international frameworks that DRC has subscribed to.
- Work in close consultation with the Country Director and Head of Finance and Administration, ensure correct and timely narrative and financial reporting to donor(s);
- Ensure effective coordination and visibility to the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors and relevant stakeholders.
Program development and strategy:
- Work closely with the Country Director to identify opportunities for new projects;
- Lead assessments for emergency or longer term programming in existing or new project locations
- Take lead in the planning and development of concept papers, budgets and project proposals with appropriate levels of support from country team;
- Ensure effective coordination and visibility of the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors and relevant stakeholders.
Safety and Security:
- Responsible for safety and security of DRC staff and assets in the country and member of the country’s incident management team (IMT).
- Ensure required security measures are adhered to by all staff, including upkeep of minimum operating safety standards and the security and evacuation plans.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Area Manager career placement should hold a Masters’ Degree in Development studies, International relations, environment studies, or related subject with experience of protection of displaced persons
- A minimum of five years’ experience of doing similar work in an NGO of which at least 2 years should be working as an In-charge of field offices.
- Previous experience of working with projects funded by bilateral and multilateral Donors and experience of working with United Nations funded projects
- Broad knowledge and experience of refugee assistance program with experience of coordinating shelter/infrastructure, WASH and emergency livelihoods
- Experience of rural infrastructure development projects
- Demonstrated report writing skills, staff, and financial management;
- A positive attitude with ability to work in a multicultural working environment is desirable.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including;
· A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria
· Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
All applications should be uploaded online at this link, Click Here
Deadline: 9th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline