Job Title: Technical Officer (6 Job Placements)
Organization: Malaria Consortium
Project Name: USAID/PMI Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Arua, Masaka, Hoima and Kabarole, Uganda
Reports to: Regional Coordinator
Salary: USD 13,320 gross per annum
About Malaria Consortium:
Malaria Consortium is the world’s leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. Malaria Consortium works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
About USAID MAPD Project:
The Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) project is a 5-year USAID/PMI funded project. The project aims to prevent and control Malaria illnesses and deaths in order to minimise the social economic effects of the disease among the overall population of Uganda especially in children under 5 years of age. The project will be implemented starting in August 2016, and will cover 43 districts with a total population of more than 13 million. The Malaria Action Program for Districts project offers a partnership uniquely positioned to deliver this implementation rollout. Partners include Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics (JHPIEGO), Banyan Global, Deloitte &Touché Uganda, Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) and Communication for Development Foundation-Uganda (CDFU).
Job Summary: The Technical Officer will provide technical and implementation support to all MAPD project activities in the respective region of operation. The incumbent will ensure the technical quality of all activities in support of the project’s overall goal, through regular liaison with and supervision from the Regional Coordinator. The jobholder will also provide ongoing technical support to the district health teams and other partners and stakeholders as relevant to the project scope and in accordance with its approach to understanding and influencing positive change in health.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Oversee implementation of project activities in the project districts including (40%)
· In charge of training of Health Workers and Village Health teams
· The jobholder will support the district to conduct Community Mobilization and education activities
· In charge of the supervision of diagnostic and treatment services and community implementation
· Support the implementation of the communication strategy for MAPD at community and district levels.
· Carry out regular routine assessments and supervision visits to programme related sites and activities.
· Carry out any other duties in support of the wider Project goal as assigned
· Actively participate in the development of MAPD project work plans.
Reporting ( 20%)
· Maintain regular communication with the Regional Coordinator and compile work plan updates from the field
· Prepare and submit regular progress, trip and monthly reports to the line Manager in a timely manner and ensure that all the reports are filed
· Support the M&E Officer to ensure that all relevant project documentation is disseminated to the district health teams.
· Actively participate in relevant meetings, presenting project results and experiences as required.
· Build effective and collaborative relationships with all project partners, including the district health teams, implementing partners and network of CSOs.
· Ensure that complementary technical approaches are established with other stakeholders in similar geographical locations.
· Ensure effective coordination with and capacity building support to the district and community levels.
Monitoring and Evaluation (10%)
· Work in liaison with the M&E to Collect and analyse complete programmatic data in a timely fashion
· Work closely with the MAPD M&E Officer and Regional Coordinator in the monitoring and evaluation of project activities
· Offer support in the collection of routine health data from Village Health Team members, health facilities and district health teams.
· Support the conduct of surveys as required.
Communications (10%) Capture and document field activities, case studies and experience from the field during the course of routine work.
· Actively participate as a member of the MAPD Project technical team.
· Adhere to all project policies and procedures.
· Adhere to internationally recognised humanitarian and development principles at all times during the implementation of the project.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Malaria Consortium USAID MAPD Technical Officer job opportunity should hold a degree in a Health related field including Public Health, Community Health or equivalent. Possession of a post graduate degree/diploma in Public Health or an equivalent is an added advantage
· A minimum of three years of related work experience preferably in a USAID-funded project
· Previous exposure and experience in community-based health care delivery
· Prior experience in capacity building/ transferring of skills
· Experience in working with local government
· Experience in developing work plans and activity budgets
· Broad knowledge and understanding of both preventive and curative aspects of malaria control
· Familiarity with the strategies and guidelines of the Uganda National Malaria Control Programme is desired
· Experience in using participatory adult learning techniques
· Computer literacy i.e. competency in computer applications ( word, excel, power point)
· Excellent communication skills, with strong leadership skills and a supportive management style
· Excellent diplomacy and stakeholder liaison skills, and experience in working in partnerships to deliver programmes
· Previous experience in capacity building/ transferring of skills is desired
Delivering Results: Takes on pieces of work when required and demonstrates excellent project management skills
· Shows a flexible approach to taking on additional work / responsibilities when needed to achieve results
· Demonstrates excellent project management skills to agreed timescales (timelines, targets, donor requirements)
· Makes clear and timely decisions within remit of own role
Analysis and use of information: Uses evidence to support work
· Identifies and uses various sources of evidence and feedback to support outputs
· Uses evidence to evaluate policies, projects and programmes
· Identifies links between events and information identifying trends, issues and risks
· Ensures systems are in place to address organisation needs
Interpersonal and Communications: Fosters two-way communication
· Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
· Checks own understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
· Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
· Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively
Collaboration and Partnering: Collaborates effectively across teams
· Proactive in providing and seeking support from expert colleagues
· Raises difficult issues with teams/ partners and stakeholders with a view to positive resolution
· Proactive in building a rapport with a diverse range of people
Leading and Motivating people: Manages own development and seeks opportunities
· Actively manages own development and performance positively
· Learns lessons from successes and failures
· Seeks and explores opportunities within Malaria Consortium which develop skills and expertise
Flexibility/ Adaptability: Remains professional under external
· Able to adapt to changing situations effortlessly
· Remains constructive and positive under stress and able to tolerate difficult situations and environments
· Plans, prioritizes and performs tasks well under pressure
· Learns from own successes / mistakes
Living the Values: Promotes Malaria Consortium values amongst peers
· Shows a readiness to promote Malaria Consortium’s values amongst peers
· Promotes ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness: Is aware of others’ activities and vice versa in planning activities
· Takes account of team members and others workload when planning.
· Maintains awareness of impact on other parts of the organisation, keeping abreast of other’s activities, objectives, commitments and needs
· Has a good understanding of the sector in which Malaria Consortium works
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 16th September 2016 by 2:30 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline