Job Title: Socio-Economist (4 Job Vacancies)
Organization: National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO)
Duty Station: Abi ZARDI – Kawanda, NaCRRI – Namulonge, NaFIRRI – Jinja, and NaCORI, Mukono –Kituza, Uganda
The National Agricultural Research Organisation is established by the National Agricultural Research Act 2005 as a body corporate with the mandate to provide strategic direction for publically funded agricultural research in Uganda. The organisation is composed of the Council as its governing body, Committees of Council, a Secretariat for its day-to-day operations with semi-autonomous Public Agricultural Research Institutes (PARI’s) under its policy guidance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The jobholder will design and implement quantitative and qualitative socio-economics research
· Collect and analyze a broad range of primary and secondary social, economic, market value chain and policy research data using standard statistical software
· Establish and regularly update baseline, crop production, sector actors, policies, markets and marketing, and post-harvest/utilization information
· The incumbent will design and study profitability, technical and financial viability, markets, adoption and impacts of crop innovations, interventions, including associated drivers and dynamics, and dis-aggregated by various socio-economic parameters
· The jobholder will also evaluate demand and supply of crop production inputs such as seed and other innovations
· Spearhead monitoring, evaluation and learning pertaining to crops research for development interventions
· Actively contribute to clear articulation of impact pathway to achievement of project goals
· Compile, summarize, document, publish research and secondary data into reports, policy briefs, peer reviewed journal articles, newsletters and strategy documents to strengthen research for development
· Support engagement with key stakeholders and strategic partners
· Develop marketing and promotional strategies for different crops /products in collaboration with key partners
· Actively participate in the development of market linkages and business models that enhance market access of smallholder farmers, in collaboration with market value chain actors
· Translate research findings into practical priorities for development, policy decisions and strategies that facilitate adoption, stimulate scaling up and out of project outputs, and enhance social inclusiveness.
· Publish research findings in international peer reviewed journals and contribute to dissemination of results to stakeholders
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or Agricultural Economics plus a Master’s Degree in Agricultural Economics, Economic Policy and Development Economics. Possession of a PhD degree will be an added advantage.
· At least three years’ experience in a relevant field in reputable organization, with good skills in qualitative, quantitative research method, report writing.
· Possession of strong skills in qualitative, quantitative analysis of data and information process appropriate software such as R, STATA and SPSS, and econometric models
· Demonstrated knowledge of programming tools for planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning.
· Age: Below 50 years
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join NARO are encouraged to send their applications to the Director General, NARO, P.O. Box 295, Entebbe, Uganda.
The complete applications should include three copies of your Curriculum Vitae and one copy of certificates, transcripts and other relevant documents. The application should bear the title of the post as well as the reference number specified against the vacancy (Check at top of the advert). The applicants should not apply for more than three posts.
Deadline: 16th September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline