Job Title: Resident Engineer (4 Job Careers)
Organization: Ministry of Works and Transport
Project Name: Standard Gauge Railway Project
Duty Station: Jinja, Tororo, Iganga and Namanve, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Project Coordinator / Technical
The Government of Uganda through the Ministry of Works and Transport is spearheading the development of the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) network. The SGR project is being implemented over five (5) years as a regional project with Uganda’s partner states of Kenya, Rwanda and South Sudan. The objective of developing the SGR network is to provide a modern, fast, reliable, efficient, and high capacity railway transport system as a seamless single railway operation.
Job Summary: The Resident Engineer will supervise the SGR construction works and the other activities of the contractor at all the SGR construction sites within their respective areas of jurisdiction (Tororo, Iganga, Jinja Bridge and Namanve).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that the contractor mobilizes and supplies to the site all necessary plant and equipment.
- Make sure that the contractor establishes and maintains an appropriate quality control regime, an accurate and robust survey control system and appropriate health and safety measures.
- Consider, evaluate and comment upon the contractor’s work programmes, method statements, site organization, material sources, etc.
- Regularly check that the quality of the materials and components brought to site are of acceptable quality and in accordance with the contract specifications.
- The incumbent will inspect the works regularly, both complete and on-going, for compliance with the contract.
- Ensure that the works are in full compliance with the requirements of the National Environmental Management Authority (NEMA) Act and Regulations.
- Ensure that the works are constructed to the correct designed locations, shapes, lines and levels.
- Ensure that road and railway traffic is not unnecessarily disrupted by the works.
- The incumbent will arrange and conduct regular site inspections/meetings and prepare minutes of the said site inspections/meetings.
- Measure the works progressively and upon completion, and maintain the measurement records.
- Regularly check and verify the contractor’s payment requests, certify the quantities and values of work executed.
- Maintain records relating to the works including but not limited to correspondences, site diaries, minutes of site meetings, test certificates, progress photographs, etc.
- Ensure that the contractor prepares and submits correct and accurate “as-built “drawings for the works.
- Recommend certification of the completion of all or part of the works.
- Supervise the execution of any outstanding works and/or correction of any defects in the works during the defects liability period.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants should hold a Bachelor’s (Hons) Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized institution.
- Membership of the Uganda Institute of Professional Engineers (UIPE) and registration with the Uganda Engineers Registration Board (ERB).
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years’ general experience as a Civil Engineer in a busy public/private sector organization involved in the development and/or maintenance of infrastructure.
- Five years’ specific experience as a Resident Engineer or Assistant Resident Engineer or equivalent on a substantial road/railway project or construction work.
- Computer literacy to a high level including proficiency in MS Office, MS Project and AutoCAD.
- Personal Competencies: Leadership; Planning Organising and Coordination; Networking; effective Communication; Ethics and Integrity; Result orientation
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandans should send written applications with letters of recommendation from either the current or previous employer(s) covering the last three consecutive years of employment, copies of academic certificates & transcripts, previous and current appointment letters, curriculum vitae, and a recent passport size colour photograph.
Applications should be addressed to:-
The Project Coordinator, Standard Gauge Railway Project,
P. O. Box 27756, Kampala. Uganda
Applications should be delivered to the …New Vision Offices…
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and Canvassing or lobbying by applicants will lead to disqualification.
- Candidates who present forged documents/testimonials will be arrested and prosecuted.
- Envelopes containing applications should be clearly marked with both the position applied for and duty station.
Deadline: 28th September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline