Job Title: Program Officer (3 Job Opportunities)
Organization: Mercy Corps
Project Name: PEPFAR Safe Work, Life Skills and Market Connections to Decrease HIV Risk for Young Women (SKY) Project
Duty Station: Lira, Gulu and Oyam, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
About PEPFAR DREAMS Project:
Mercy Corps was recently awarded funding for a 2-year PEPFAR DREAMS program, Cultivating Safe Work, Life Skills and Market Connections to Decrease HIV Risk for Young Women (SKY) seeking to address the growing rate of HIV/AIDS among young women (ages 19 -24) who engage in transactional sex in the Gulu, Lira and Oyam Districts. SKY will reduce 4,500 young women’s reliance on transactional sex by providing them the skills, confidence and connections needed to achieve steady employment.
Job Summary: The Program Officer will be responsible for community engagement, including the identification, recruitment and retention of young women (creation of safe space groups); the execution of livelihood development and health related activities (enrollment in vocational training institutes and referrals to health facilities), market facilitation activities including private sector engagement and subsidies. He/she will be locally hired and based in the Lira, Gulu and Oyam area. The incumbent will be responsible for day-to-day field-work in implementation of activities, mobilization, formation and monitoring of groups of young women and related education and livelihoods activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with all the program staff in implementation of the program.
- Engage community members (community representatives, teachers, religious leaders, government officials and gatekeepers)
- Coordinate directly with CBOs to implement activities
- Organize community events to sensitize communities on the SKY Program
- Offer support to partnerships in relation to market facilitation activities and vocational training
- Keenly monitor and track the success and failures of young women and groups
- Collect program data accurately and forward the same to the office timely.
- Offer support community mapping activities, market assessments and base-line/end-line evaluation activities
- Prepare accurate and timely monitoring and field reports and other project documentation as required.
- Maintain proper project/program files.
- Represent the organization in meetings at the grass root level.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor or representatives
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Program Officer career opportunity should a Bachelor’s Degree in Community Development, Economic Development or related field or diploma with over three years experience;
- At least three years’ experience working with NGOs/CBO’s in civic engagement, livelihoods and education
- Show commitment to working with youth and vulnerable groups in need, regardless of race, tribe, religion or gender;
- Broad knowledge and understanding of working with local partners;
- Good problem solving, written and oral communication skills;
- Strong written and spoken English
- Local language skills required
- Ability to work without constant supervision and as part of a mixed team;
- Computer literacy skills i.e. Good knowledge of MS Office software such as Excel, Word, and Access;
- Proven ability and curiosity to work comfortably and effectively in this region.
- S/he will be an excellent communicator, have a strong sense of humor, multi-tasker, and able to work difficult and often stressful environments.
How to Apply:
All prospective Ugandans who wish to join Mercy Corps are encouraged to send their applications via email including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to email@example.com addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road.
Deadline: 29th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline