Job Title: Driver (10 Career Positions)
Organization: Malaria Consortium
Project Name: USAID/PMI Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Arua, Masaka, Hoima and Kabarole, Uganda
Reports to: Operations Manager and Regional Coordinators
Salary: USD 3,825 gross per annum
About Malaria Consortium:
Malaria Consortium is the world’s leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. Malaria Consortium works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
About USAID MAPD Project:
The Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) project is a 5-year USAID/PMI funded project. The project aims to prevent and control Malaria illnesses and deaths in order to minimise the social economic effects of the disease among the overall population of Uganda especially in children under 5 years of age. The project will be implemented starting in August 2016, and will cover 43 districts with a total population of more than 13 million. The Malaria Action Program for Districts project offers a partnership uniquely positioned to deliver this implementation rollout. Partners include Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics (JHPIEGO), Banyan Global, Deloitte &Touché Uganda, Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) and Communication for Development Foundation-Uganda (CDFU).
Job Summary: The Driver will provide transport services to MAPD Project staff. The primary role of this position is to provide safe and reliable transportation for MAPD Project staff, partner staff, consultants, visitors and project participants.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Carry out driving duties as instructed and drive the project vehicles in a manner that ensures good working conditions of the vehicle and in accordance with organisation andhighway traffic code.
· Follow the traffic regulations of Uganda at all times, for example; sticking to speed limits, wearing seat belts and ensuring that passengers do so, never consuming alcohol whilst on duty.
· The Driver will ensure maximum safety of the vehicle while driving and when parked, travel with doors locked at all times and always ensure the vehicle parked in a safe location, preferably with security.
· Keep accurate records pertaining to the vehicle in the vehicle log book (including fuel consumption and vehicle servicing schedule) and to inspect with due care the vehicle before and after each journey and submit a written report to the line manager.
· Conduct daily check of the motor vehicle and ensure that it is in the proper working order, including oil, water and fuel level. Carry out weekly check on tyres, air pressure, all lights, and mileage and advise the line manager on the maintenance service and the general service of the motor vehicle whenever required.
· Ensure vehicle is ready for duty each morning; filled with fuel and clean.
· Report accident to the relevant authority immediately (where possible) and get references where possible plus particulars of the driver, registration number and insurance policy number, in case of involvement with other motor vehicles. Also report incident to the line manager.
· Assist with transfer of materials and supplies to project locations from a respective office and other locations.
Vehicle maintenance (20%)
· Ensures assigned vehicle is in sound and operable condition at all times.
· Ensure assigned vehicle is clean at all times.
· Regularly track vehicle servicing dates and notify the line manager on due date of vehicle servicing.
· Perform minor vehicle repairs and notify the line manager if major repairs are necessary
· Complete the vehicle maintenance log each time a fault is noted or vehicle is serviced or repaired and present the log at the end of each month to the line manager for analysis
· Maintain emergency equipment in the vehicle, first aid kit, spare tyre, towing rope, water supplies.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Malaria Consortium USAID MAPD Driver job vacancy should hold an O-Level Certificate of education with relevant training.
· Hold a valid driver’s license.
· At least four years driving experience and two years’ experience in project related work in a reputable organization.
· Working knowledge of mechanics is an added advantage.
· Additional training in defensive driving
· Familiar with all terrain in Uganda.
· Ability to effectively manage time.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· High level of integrity, honest, trustworthy and flexible.
· Fluent written and spoken English
· Able to work with an international/ multi-cultural team.
· Computer literacy i.e. ability to use Computer packages like ( word, excel )
· Keen attention to detail
Delivering Results: Takes on pieces of work when required and demonstrates excellent project management skills
· Shows a flexible approach to taking on additional work /responsibilities when needed to achieve results
· Demonstrates excellent project management skills to agreed timescales (timelines, targets, donor requirements)
· Makes clear and timely decisions within remit of own role
Analysis and use of information: Gathers information and identifies problems effectively
· Interprets basic written information
· Attentive to detail
· Follows guidelines to identify issues
· Recognises problems within their remit
· Uses appropriate methods for gathering and summarising data
Interpersonal and communications: Fosters two-way communication
· Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
· Checks own understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
· Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
· Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively
Collaboration and partnering: Is a good and effective team player
· Is as a good and effective team player
· Knows who their customers are and their requirements.
· Respects and listens to different views/opinions
· Actively collaborates across teams to achieve objectives and develop own thinking
· Proactive in providing and seeking support from team members
Leading and motivating people:
· Open to learning and responds positively to feedback
· Willingness to manage own development and performance
· Builds capacity of colleagues by sharing knowledge (induction) and acting as induction ‘buddy’ when asked
· Open to learning new things
· Responds positively to feedback from others.
· Identifies mistakes and takes positive steps to improve
Flexibility/ Adaptability: Recognizes own stress levels and adapts
· Recognises limitations and take steps to manage any resulting pressure or stress
· Remains focused on objectives and goal in a rapidly changing environment
· Takes responsibility for own work and for the impact of own actions
Living the Values: Demonstrates Malaria Consortium values
· Demonstrates integrity, honesty and fairness in dealing with colleagues and stakeholders
· Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
· Treats all people with respect
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness: Manages own workload effectively
· Plans and manages own workload effectively
· Is familiar with Malaria Consortium’s mission and current strategic plan.
· Understands own contribution to Malaria Consortium’s objectives
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 16th September 2016 by 2:30 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline