Project: Resiliency through Wealth, Agriculture, and Nutrition in Karamoja (RWANU)
Funding Source: USAID
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party
Duty Station: Uganda
About USAID RWANU Project:
ACDI/VOCA is an international NGO that is currently implementing the USAID-funded PL 480 Title II Development Food Assistance Program entitled “Resiliency through Wealth, Agriculture, and Nutrition in Karamoja (RWANU).” The RWANU Program aims to reduce food insecurity among vulnerable rural populations in selected sub-counties of Amudat, Moroto, Napak and Nakapiripirit. The Program’s strategic objectives are (1) improved availability and access to food and (2) reduced malnutrition in pregnant and lactating mothers and children under five. The RWANU Program takes a preventive approach to reducing malnutrition, focusing on the first 1,000 days of life when conditional food rations will have the highest impact. RWANU promotes diversified livelihoods strategies including linkages to market opportunities to ensure long-term food security and resilience to food insecurity shocks.
Job Summary: The Environmental Monitoring and Mitigation Officer will ensure project's compliance with USAID environmental regulations. The jobholder will implement the project's environmental compliance procedures and activities and complete environmental documentation and reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will implement mitigation and monitoring activities identified in the Environmental Monitoring and Mitigation Plan (EMMP), maintain accurate records, evaluate results and develop clear and concise reports.
- The incumbent will develop for review an Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Report (EMMR) and an Environmental Status Report (ESR) for project close-out. The EMMR/ESR will document project compliance with 22 CFR 216 and ADS 204.5.4 and demonstrate how the conditions specified by the Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), the Pesticide Evaluation Report and Safe Use Action Plan (PERSUAP), and the EMMP have been met for all activities.
- Ensure that conditions specified by the IEE, EMMP and PERSUAP has been met including, but not limited to, mitigating and monitoring any potential direct adverse impacts on the physical environment and human health of all project activities associated with pesticide and fertilizer use and seed and planting materials supply, village services, Water, Sanitation and Health (WASH) activities, and commodity distribution.
- Offer support to the project COP/Agricultural Specialist/ Technical Support Officers/Disaster Reduction and Recovery and Natural Resource Management Officer on issues of Environmental Compliance/NRM/Sustainable Agriculture/Climate change adaptations.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the USAID RWANU Project Environmental Monitoring and Mitigation Officer job placement should hold a Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in conducting environmental assessments, environmental monitoring, evaluation and documentation is required.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of international donor environmental compliance requirements is essential. Particularly, familiarity with USAID regulation 22 CFR 216 and ADS 204.5.4 is strongly preferred.
- Karamojong language skills highly desirable.
- Fluent written and spoken English language skills are a must
- Computer literacy with a good command of word processing and geographic information system (GIS).
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who desire to work in the USAID RWANU Project should send their applications (only by e-mail) addressed to the Human Resources Manager attaching their application letters and CV to email@example.com
NB: Women are encouraged to apply as ACDI/ VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline: 19th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline