Job Title: Program Manager
Organisation: Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
Lutheran World Relief is a US non-profit organization that works with local partners to provide lasting solutions to poverty, injustice and human suffering. LWF Uganda works to reduce people’s vulnerability, supporting them to realize their potential, to build on their assets, and to respond to their own problems and needs. LWF Uganda currently has five areas of operation in Pader, Kitgum, Adjumani, Katakwi, Sembabule, Kampala and Kamwenge Districts.
Job Summary: The Program Manager’s core functions are to support the Country Director (CD) in identifying partners, research and project development, and preparation of project concept papers and proposals for approval, assisting in project implementation (especially in technical assistance to farmer organizations in organizational development and agribusiness), grant management, and deriving lessons learned from projects. The role of the Program Manager is to ensure that the projects are implemented in accordance with contractual obligations and meet the highest standard of implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure LWR projects are designed and implemented in accordance with LWR Design, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Minimum Quality Standards.
- Ensure that project design, implementation, and evaluation teams (LWR staff, partner staff, and/or contractors) use LWR's Design, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning approaches and tools accurately.
- Support the CD in developing relationship with private and public sector partnerships to leverage resources and create innovative programs.
- Provide leadership in developing concept papers, proposals, and budgets. Ensure that all proposal submissions are complete and properly formatted and that they are received in sufficient time to allow for a complete review and response, as needed, by the partners before submission to headquarters.
- Work closely with implementing partners to ensure the progress, financial, audit, and evaluation reports are submitted to the LWR Uganda office in accordance with the LWR's guidelines and that they are submitted to the headquarters and donors on a timely basis.
- Keenly monitor detailed implementation plan and budget of the projects; ensure that partners implement activities as planned.
- Assist with the exchange of correspondence between LWR and implementing partners and potential partners; send all relevant correspondence from the headquarters to partners; send relevant communications to headquarters.
- Maintain partner, project related information and input all data into the data base management system.
- Assist internal and external communications about LWR programs, including branding and visibility of LWR programs, working with partners in identifying key lessons learnt from projects, and documentation of case studies.
- Stay abreast of development trends in Uganda.
Emergency Response and Material Resources:
- Work in consultation with the CD to assist partners in timely response to disasters and complex emergencies.
- Ensure that partners are in compliance with LWR material resource guidelines and cooperation agreements.
- Ensure the monitoring, receiving, and distribution process with partners and advise partners of any issues that require its attention as appropriate. Periodic monitoring visits to the partner organizations, warehouses and distribution sites, as well as examination of any records kept for the said transactions.
- Offer support in the development and implementation of LWR's country operational plan
- Actively participate in the development and periodic review of LWR's strategy for Uganda.
- Build and strengthen working relationships between LWR and its institutional and community partners in Uganda.
- Actively participate in LWR country, regional, and global staff meetings.
- Conduct any other duties assigned by the CD
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Master's degree preferred.
- At least five years’ experience in agriculture, rural development, finance/economics, or a related development field;
- Previous experience in project management and managing development programs within an international NGO.
- Prior experience implementing institutional donor funded projects (bilateral donors such as USAID, multilateral donors such as the European Union or UN institutions, etc.).
- Significant experience in independently designing, managing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating development and risks reduction projects.
- Previous experience in agricultural livelihoods and agricultural value chain development a must. Specific experience supporting producer organizations to access agricultural inputs, advisory and business development services, and output markets; increase their production and marketing efficiencies; and enhance product competitiveness preferred.
- Working knowledge of gender and youth integration approaches relevant to agricultural value chains is an added advantage.
- Significant experience using information and communication technology for project data collection and/or to facilitate business transactions and service delivery a plus.
- Demonstrated high-level technical, analytical, interpersonal skills and ability to meet tight deadlines with logical analyses and clear presentation.
- Computer literacy i.e. proficiency in MS Outlook, MS Word and other Microsoft Office programs as well as common internet applications.
- Fluency in English, with excellent written communication skills. Ability to speak at least one Ugandan language.
- Ability to travel up to 70% of his/her time, mostly within Uganda. Ability to travel occasionally within the region and to the US.
- Evidence of status to work legally in Uganda. Uganda national preferred. Women are strongly urged to apply.
- Show commitment to LWR's core value and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an email to email@example.com with the job title for which you are applying in the subject line. Include in the body of the email the following information:
- HIGHEST LEVEL OF EDUCATION:
- NUMBER OF YEARS OF RELEVANT EXPERIENCE:
- MINIMUM SALARY EXPECTATION (monthly, gross):
Please include as attachments in a single PDF file a cover letter and CV. Do not include copies of diplomas or certificates.
Deadline: 15th August, 2016 by 5:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline