Organization: World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Coordinator – Agriculture & Market Support (AMS)
Position Grade: NOA
Reference Number: 16-0021847
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas namely: Emergency Humanitarian Action (EHA); Food & Nutrition Security (FNS); and Agriculture & Market Support (AMS). WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
Job Summary: The Programme Policy Officer (Agriculture & Market Support) will provide senior level management of Agriculture & Market Support activities for the United Nations UN World Food Programme (WFP).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the leadership of the AMS coordinator, provide overall guidance to partners and WFP sub-offices on management for results of AMS activities
- The incumbent will provide leadership to the design and implementation of programme and projects relating to agribusiness development, small and medium enterprises, commercial and contract farming, linkages in value chains, and supply chain management; as requested, provide technical backstopping to field projects;
- Coordinate the establishment of shared systems for programming, monitoring and review of activities amongst AMS Cooperating partners, including Field Level Agreements (FLA) reviews, specific research studies, evaluations, and other analyses required to improve programme results
- The jobholder will support the AMS Coordinator in ensuring coherence and coordination of AMS activities with all other WFP programmes
- Represent WFP to external meetings e.g. (Agriculture Sector Donor Working Group; USAID/LEAD, UNDAF, etc.) and donor missions.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Coordinator – Agriculture & Market Support (AMS).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the United Nations UN World Food Programme (WFP) Programme Policy Officer (Agriculture & Market Support) job vacancy should hold an Advanced University degree in social sciences, agriculture, economics, business administration or related field obtained from a recognized institution Or first University degree in the mentioned fields with additional years of related work experience;
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant working experience in managing, planning, and monitoring of relevant programme work at national level gained from a reputable organizations;
- Previous experience working with teams and with NGO/UN/government Partners, and government ministries and departments.
- Prior experience working in refugee hosting districts and vulnerable national regions (e.g. Karamoja);
- Previous exposure and experience in the provision of agriculture support to smallholder farmers in Uganda, including but not limited to,
- Capacity building - post-harvest handling, farming as a business / agronomy, nutrition, gender, savings and loan, group dynamics, store management, and market linkage,
- Productive assets and infrastructure – post-harvest lost reduction equipment, satellite collection points,
- Market development – linking farmers groups and organizations to buyers (e.g. WFP, private sector buyers), and
- Public-private partnership – supporting innovate partnerships with Government, UN Agencies, bi-lateral organizations, and others in support of the agriculture sector.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills that lead to timely documentation and submission of reports;
- Excellent command of spoken and written English;
- Computer literacy i.e. knowledge and skills in using MS Office applications;
- Excellent command of English is vital;
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the United Nations World Food Programme to submit their applications online, Click Here
Step 1: Register and create your online CV
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NB: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline: 11th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline