Job Title: Programme Associate, Gender and Statistics
Organization: UN WOMEN
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Representative
About UN WOMEN:
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates the United Nations system-wide efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action. It provides strong and coherent leadership and technical advice in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Job Summary: The Programme Associate, Gender and Statistics will support the development and implementation of a national gender statistics framework in Uganda. The incumbent contributes to the effective management of UN Women programmes and projects. The jobholder works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women Regional Office and HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under the Accountability portfolio.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Programme Development and Management:
· Contributes substantively to the analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to the UN Women country office programme planning;
· Keeps abreast of data, research and studies related to Gender and statistics and documents evidence based practices in this field;
· Contributes to the development of knowledge products related to Gender and Statistics such as policy briefs, case studies and other materials;
· Actively contributes substantively to discussions on the strategic direction of Country Office Gender Statistics programme;
· Stays abreast with new policy developments and strategies analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks, and prepares briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks;
· Participates in and supports the design and formulation of programme initiatives translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions and ensuring substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches;
· Helps ensure quality of programme/projects design incorporating lessons learned, newly developed policies and best practices and establishing appropriate execution and monitoring mechanisms and systems;
· Facilitates and supports field visits to monitor field level activities of portfolio;
· Expedites and coordinates programmes/projects implementation establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies facilitating timely and efficient delivery of inputs;
· Supports partners in the effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results;
· Supports reporting on progress in achieving results of portfolio;
· Initiates and monitors the implementation of gender responsive evaluations of portfolio.
Inter-Agency Coordination Support:
· Provides substantive support to the supervisor on inter-agency coordination related activities under the Gender and Statistics portfolio;
· Participates in inter-agency processes including UNDAF and similar exercises ensuring that gender concerns under Gender and Statistics are clearly reflected and mainstreamed in process;
· Supports the supervisor to prepare substantive inputs to UNDAF and other documents including analyzing and researching the political, social and economic situation in the country;
· Under the supervisor’s guidance prepares analytical and regular progress reports on UN Women’s program experiences in Gender and Statistics in support of UN Women’s inter-agency coordination role.
Strategic partnership building and resource mobilization Support:
· Supports strategic partnerships and resource mobilization efforts by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in donor meetings and public information events;
· Provides inputs to resource mobilization strategies, analyzing and maintaining information and databases on donors and developing database of project profiles for presentation to donors;
· Helps create and coordinate partnerships with the UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.;
· Analyses and researches information on donors, prepares substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
· Follows up on resource on mobilization activities for fund raising for new projects in coordination with the supervisor.
Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management:
· Supports the establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks;
· Proactively and substantively supports and implements relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners;
· Helps create and document knowledge about current and emerging trends by analyzing programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies;
· Proactively contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
· Understands donor visibility guidelines and ensures its application in portfolio.
The key results of this post directly impacts on the ability of UN Women to effectively lead, manage, monitor and oversee UN Women’s programs, projects and related operations in the country under the Gender and Statistics portfolio. This impact should lead to enhancing the visibility and image of UN Women as an effective leader on gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment within the country.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the United Nations UNDP Programme Associate, Gender and Statistics job opportunity should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Gender studies, Human Rights Social Sciences or related field;
· Possession of a Master’s Degree in any of these fields will be an added advantage.
· At least five years relevant experience in development projects including hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects in the field of gender and human rights of women, specifically women’s economic empowerment;
· Good knowledge and experience in leading and designing gender statistical capacity enhancement programs for national statistical offices and other government institutions in developing countries and particularly in Uganda;
· A relevant working experience in Uganda is added advantage.
· Language: Fluency in English is required; Knowledge of official national language is essential.
Core Values/ Guiding Principles:
· Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
· Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
· Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
o Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
o Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
· Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
· Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
· Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
· Working in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
· Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
· Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
· Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
· Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
· Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
· Demonstrated development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s rights;
· Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
· Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results;
· Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches;
· Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies;
· Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
· Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills;
· Proven ability to produce high quality reports and to work under tight deadlines;
· Demonstrated knowledge and expertise on statistical production processes and data analysis from gender equality and women’s rights perspective;
· Proven ability to advocate and provide policy advice to senior government officials, international development partners, civil society representatives etc.;
· Ability to lead strategic planning and reporting processes with multi-stakeholder involvement and interaction.
NB: All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11), download here. Please kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment, please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment;
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 5th September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline