Job Title: Travel Assistant
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (UNRSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: RSCE/GJO/LL/001/08-2016
Reports to: Service Line Manager
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Calculates airfare, excess baggage entitlements, terminal expenses, daily subsistence allowances for staff and dependents traveling on missions, etc.
- The jobholder provides information to staff and consultants on the most direct and economical route, and plans routings and itineraries plus the most economical airfare rates for such travel as permitted by the rules and regulations.
- Provides information on rates and travel schedules for specific itineraries
- The incumbent also contacts airlines or travel agency to make reservations at least expensive fares, and requests issuance of tickets.
- Keenly reviews travel claims and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy, reasonableness, validity, and conformity with UN Rules.
- Guides substantive offices, travelers, and other relevant staff of arrival information, requesting arrangements to be made accordingly for traveler.
- Receives queries and feedback to clients, create work orders in iNeed, monitor work orders, daily report on ageing analysis. Closes work orders in iNeed. Checks entitlements eligibility, approves entitlement leave, calculates points according to cycles, post travel management, updates leave cards, and compilation of staff benefits accruals. Computation of airfare for requested destinations, computation of lump sum, raising of PT8 in FSS, computation of costs for shipment of Personal Effects, advise on travel issues, coordination with travel agents for ticket issuing.
- Processing Entitlement: Travel services as requested by client missions and RSCE Staff. Obligation of PT8, Payment of Lump Sum, Approval of payments in UMOJA, Monitoring of payments activities and FCs, providing feedback to clients on payments made.
- Official travel for meetings or training (daily subsistence allowance advances, claims for official travel); arranges tickets for Official and Training Travel; Arrange tickets and cargo space for repatriation of Human remains; Arrange tickets for medical evacuation; Processing DSA advances; Processing F10 claims; Processing vendor payments.
- Performs any other duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Travel Assistant job opportunity should have completed a High School Diploma. Possession of a technical or vocational certificate in the field of business administration or travel and related matters or related fields is highly desirable.
- At least four years of progressively responsible experience in travel administration, including travel rate calculation, routing, and travel reimbursement, or related area is required.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of travel related operations including knowledge of Airline Passenger Tariffs and ABS Airways Guide or OAG desirable.
- Working experience in an International Organization in a travel-related function is desirable.
- Ability to assimilate and understand technical human resources-related terms;
- Computer literacy i.e. proficiency in the use of MS Office
- Ability to transcribe data in an accurate and speedy manner;
- Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, draw conclusions and recommendations.
- Languages: Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Professionalism: Good knowledge of all forms of publication activities; thorough knowledge of information management system requirements; ability to work independently in managing difficult situations; proven analytical and evaluative skills; shows pride in work and in achievements; observing deadlines and achieving results; and ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Communication: Good interpersonal skills, speaks and writes clearly and effectively, listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately, exhibits two way communication; and tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience and demonstrate openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications the following documents:
- The United Nations Personal History form (P-11), Download Here; This should be signed
- Proof of required academic certificates i.e. Academic Certificate(s) and/or High School/Secondary Diplomas
- Latest performance evaluation reports / appraisals
The applicants with the completed documents are strongly encouraged to apply via e-mail and must include the Vacancy Announcement Number (check beginning of this advert) and Job Title to: email@example.com
Deadline: 14th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline