Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Team Leader Environment, Climate and Disaster Risk Reduction
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The Technical Specialist for the Agriculture Sector Adaptation Plan (NAP Ag) is primarily responsible for the management of UNDP program within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned. The Technical Specialist-Climate Adaptation provides specialized guidance and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio, and provides policy advice services. The Technical Specialist-Climate Adaptation coordinates activities of the project under his/her jurisdiction, works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP CO staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to development of the Agriculture Sector Adaptation Plan
· In charge of the identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral area assigned.
· Synergises built with existing programmes and aligned with national plans and strategies including NDP, ASSP and the LEG (LDC Expert Group) guidelines for implementation of NAPs
Ensure effective linkage with the CO programme achieving the following results:
· Responsible for the effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
· Coordinated programme implementation with other executing agencies to ensure that performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones are monitored for both operational and financial effectiveness and efficiency.
· Project plans, progress and other relevant information are updated, tracked, and managed (including financial reporting) to the global project team when requested (including annual reports, audits, mid-term and terminal evaluations);
· Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes and shared with donors.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships for evidence based advocacy and resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Establishment of partnerships with the UN Agencies, International Finance Institutions, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries and project needs.
· In charge of the documentation of challenges, interventions, results, synthesis of best practices, case studies and lessons; and sharing the information with other stakeholders for consensus building to directly link program to country policy goals.
· Support to UNDP’s work on catalyzing private sector finance for climate adaptation provided.
Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Develop capacity building initiatives to enable development of Impact and performance Monitoring /Measurement frameworks for the Uganda climate change policy with gender considerations.
· Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
· Organization of trainings for technical staff and public service providers on adaptation, gender sensitive climate change adaptation planning and budgeting for representatives from ministries and relevant institutions, taking cognizance of the work that government is already doing on National Appropriate Mitigation Actions, National Adaptation Programmes of Action, and how these will inform the National Adaptation Plan process.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the United Nations UNDP Technical Specialist for the Agriculture Sector Adaptation Plan (NAP Ag) Project should preferably hold a Master’s Degree in Environmental Economics, Environmental management or Agricultural economics, or a closely related field.
· At least five years of work experience in areas such as climate change adaptation, institutional capacity-building for public administrators on development planning and budgeting, development management, public administration, public expenditure review and related initiatives.
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
· Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
· Treats all people fairly without favoritism
· Knowledge Management and Learning
· Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
· In-depth knowledge on development issues
· Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
· Development and Operational Effectiveness
· Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
· Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
· Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit
· Strong IT skills
· Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership:
· Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
· Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
· Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
· Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
· Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 7th September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline