Job Title: Policy Officer
Organisation: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: FAO Representative
Grade Level: P4
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has a global mandate to improve nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to global economic’ growth. Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts - to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
About FIRST Programme:
Food and Nutrition Security Impact, Resilience, Sustainability and Transformation (FIRST) is a FAO and the European Union partnership programme with the purpose of providing a policy assistance mechanism for improved food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture. FIRST is designed to strengthen the enabling environment for food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture in a number of selected priority countries. FIRST will be embedded within the FAO’s programme management and coordination structure. It will contribute directly to the food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture policy and governance related results envisioned under FAO Strategic Objectives 1 and 2.
Job Summary: The Policy officer works in close collaboration with EU Delegation and the Permanent Secretary of Agricultural Planning Department of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) relevant government ministries/institutions. The Policy Officer also coordinates with relevant sub-regional organizations and other stakeholders in the country. The Policy Officer (FIRST Programme) provides leadership, guidance and operational support for results-based policy assistance, governance, capacity development and facilitates policy dialogue around food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offers technical and policy advice and/or support to the Government and relevant stakeholders in the development and implementation of their policies and programmes for improved food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture;
- Advocates strategic partnerships, best practices, and policy dialogue in support of enhanced policies and governance for food, nutrition security and sustainable agriculture;
- Plans, organizes and participates in capacity development plans and activities involving the provision of technical advice and assistance, and oversees the development of related materials;
- Regularly interacts with UN Regional and Country teams to improve cross-sectoral policies and strategies concerning food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture;
- Keenly analyses global and country specific requirements, organizes and leads an in-depth assessment of the policy and institutional framework of food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture and identifies areas for improvements;
- Organizes and participates relevant meetings, workshops, seminars and conferences, advocates strategic partnerships, best practices, and increase policy dialogue and develop and negotiate effective collaboration;
- Prepares reports to FAO, the European Union and the Government on progress achievement and issues related to FIRST implementation;
- Designs and participates in resource mobilization activities.
- Carries out gap analysis of agriculture and related policies with a view to identify entry points for work planning and implementation of the Agriculture Sector Strategic Plan (ASSP)
- Supports Agriculture Sector Ministry, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) with analysis of strategies, policies and plans and provide recommendations for implementation of the policy and planning frameworks;
- Provides policy advice and related capacity development support to MAAIF for implementing its new structure, organization mandate and responsibilities premised on the ASSP;
- Works closely with the Agricultural Planning Department to establish a clear road map to attaining Agriculture Sector Budget support for the implementation of the ASSP;
- Facilitates and strengthens strategic partnership of MAAIF with national, regional and international public, private and civil society institutions, programmes and networks regarding agriculture related policies;
- Offers support in the development of a policy platform and facilitate multi-stakeholder exchange and learning process;
- Collaborates closely with the MAAIF staff, senior advisor and other experts on all relevant aspects of food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture related policies.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Policy Officer job opportunity should hold an advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, food security and nutrition and/or sustainable agriculture or related area
- A minimum of seven years of relevant experience in policy analysis, policy advice and capacity development related to sustainable agriculture policy and/or food and nutrition security
- Previous exposure and relevant knowledge of national policy processes related to food security, nutrition, and sustainable agriculture within the East African Region (preferably, but not limited to Uganda)
- Previous exposure and relevance experience in facilitating policy dialogue and capacity development around food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture among a wide variety of stakeholders previous work experience in developing and/or implementing sectoral and cross-sectoral policies and programmes as well as coordination among different sectors
- Extent and relevance of experience in resources mobilization
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Working knowledge of English
- Personal Competencies: Results Focus, Teamwork, Communication, Building Effective Relationships, Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
NB: Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should who wish to join the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) should send their applications online at the link below. Please first start with creating a profile or updating if you already have an existing one. The candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Click Here -> Access iRecruitment (Login or Create Profile)-> Jobs -> City (Choose Kampala, UG) -> Search -> Click IRC3514
Deadline: 1st September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline