Job Title: Logistics Assistant
Organisation: United Nations Organisation Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Number: 64145
Reports to: Logistics Officer
Following the signing of the Lusaka Ceasefire Agreement in July 1999 between the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and five regional States (Angola, Namibia, Rwanda, Uganda and Zimbabwe) in July 1999, the Security Council established the United Nations Organization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC) by its resolution 1279 of 30 November 1999, initially to plan for the observation of the ceasefire and disengagement of forces and maintain liaison with all parties to the Ceasefire Agreement. Later in a series of resolutions, the Council expanded the mandate of MONUC to the supervision of the implementation of the Ceasefire Agreement and assigned multiple related additional tasks.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority the Logistics Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in providing logistics support to on-going air, land and sea operations in the AoR;
- The incumbent will offer support in identifying, mobilizing resources, implementing and reporting on special logistics operations;
- Assist in ensuring that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained.
- Receive and analyze transportation requirements from each client, develop practicable methods that will provide solutions to address their needs and coordinate implementation.
- Offer support in the preparation of reports based on logistics requirements and distribute them to relevant stake holders and liaise with other Units on logistics matters such as Supply, Transport, CITS, Movcon, Air Operations, Property Management/COE.
- Act as a focal point in the preparation of the logistics plans and cost estimates.
- Work closely with Military Contingents, FPU, UNPOL and substantive personnel at the esb level, review plans and operational requirements to deliver requisite resources in a timely and cost effective manner. Participate in the military / police planning process in ESB to provide timely advice and technical input in terms of providing logistics support in accordance with the approved MOU of the military / police contingents, UN regulations & rules, policies and procedures.
- Be aware of all logistics needs and equipment maintenance in each location in the mission and coordinate the re-supply/maintenance.
- Receive and analyze transportation requirements, develop practicable methods to satisfy them and coordinate implementation.
- Carry out reconnaissance to identify suitable locations for working and living premises and provide sufficient information to procurement staff for subsequent rental action.
- Analyze contingent owned equipment (COE) memorandums of understanding (MOUs) and determine reporting requirements.
- Supports the MSC Entebbe Office Log Ops Supervisor in identifying the continued requirement for leasing and occupation of premises including renewals of leases, in accordance to established Mission priorities.
- Prepare training activities for subordinates to improve their technical competencies
- Coordinate a training curriculum based on mission standards and requirements, conduct demonstrations, workshops and seminars on logistics operations.
- Manage a unit and supervise assigned staff.
- Perform other duties as required by the United Nations MONUSCO Logistics Officer or his / her designate.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations MONUSCO Logistics Assistant job placement should possess a high school diploma or equivalent. Technical certification/diploma or other supplemental academic qualification or training in the field of logistics, supply chain management and/ or engineering is desirable.
- At least eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience of practical field logistics operations. Previous experience in a large UN Peace Keeping Operations is desirable.
- Languages: Fluency in English (oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of logistics operations and/or related fields. Ability to analyze data. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
If interested in joining the United Nations Organisation Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) in the aforementioned capacity, please click on link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system
Deadline: 17th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline