Job Title: Technical Officer
Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Reports to: Technical Advisor, Gender/OVC/ PLVIV
Duty Station: Mbale, Uganda
Job ID: 13-9168
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of nearly 2500 people from more than 74 nationalities working in over 50 countries. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
Job Summary: The Technical Officer will support stronger networking at district level in a collaborative partnership with the District Health Advisors and Mentorship Managers in the project supported districts. The Specialist will strengthen the project’s community networking within districts, focusing on supporting the project’s collaboration with the district health office (DHO) and district health team (DHT) and PLHIV groups. The Specialist will also focus on strengthening networks between HFs and communities in a selected number of higher volume sub-counties.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Hospitals, HCIVs and some high volume HCIIIs to establish CDDPs in liaison with PLHIV groups' leaders to ensure stable clients are served at CDDPs to decongest facilities.
- Work closely with the Government district PLHIV coordinator and sub-county PLHIV coordinators to identity and mobilize a cadre of PLHIV network peer leaders who should be oriented to manage and facilitate active and functional PLHIVs groups at parish levels.
- Support PLHIV network peer leaders to conduct and document monthly support visits to the members of their PLHIV network and CDDPs.
- Actively facilitate a close working relationship between the PLHIV network peer leaders and HF staff, especially mentor mothers and case managers that the project has deployed in the HFs.
- Support the PLHIV network peer leaders to promote and link their network members to HFs services, as well as conducting community tracing of PLHIV who have missed their appointments, and the promoting and tracking of the HIV testing status of partners and family members of PLHIV members of the network, which could include facilitating HF testing para-professionals to conduct household testing of partner/family members
- Offer technical assistance to focal persons for OVC, and post GBV services, including appropriately screening, identifying and providing services to them that are linked to community resources.
- Work closely with the sub-county Community Development Officer to map out community resources, such as FBOs, CBOs, NGOs, other groups and development programs, and private sector institutions, leading to an up to date inventory of community referral network.
- Actively participate in the development, review, and dissemination of protocols, SOPs, tools and documentation templates for key client linkages.
- Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly and regular reports to the supervisor on progress of all activities conducted during the reporting period.
- Document best practices for enhancement of project performance and visibility
- Perform any other duties as directed by the supervising Technical Advisor as may be appropriate to the position.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Management Sciences for Health (MSH) Technical Officer job opportunity should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Development Studies, Social Works or equivalent from a recognized Institution
- At least three years of previous experience working in the field of HIV, Gender and OVC or related programming area
- Previous experience in networking with district health office and health centers
- Broad knowledge of TB or HIV or infectious diseases programming.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially in terms of reporting
- Computer literate with minimum basic package of Word processing, spreadsheets and power-point presentations
- Knowledge of one of the native languages of Eastern Uganda is an added advantage
- Flexible and able to work in a field based environment
- Willing and able to travel to the field by motorcycle 100% of the time
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Team player and ability to take initiative
- Ability to keep confidentiality especially in dealing with people living with HIV
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the Management Sciences for Health in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking on the link below.
Deadline: 26th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline