Organisation: Marie Stopes International (MSI)
Reports to: Outreach Team Leader
Duty Station: Uganda
Marie Stopes International (MSI) is a global organisation providing personalised contraception and safe post-abortion care services to women and girls. Our local teams of professionals are passionate about the work they do in communities across 37 countries. The services we provide give a woman the power to choose when she has children so that she is free pursue her plans and dreams for herself and her family.
Job Summary: The Transport Assistant safely and effectively drives and maintains the outreach vehicle to a high standard. The incumbent will also be expected to support the clinical Outreach Team to conduct outreach activities, including but not limited to: site preparation, stock management, and effective record keeping. S/he will support service providers in the vocal local technique and any outreach activities as required. Outreach is a strategic channel for providing greater access to rural communities with unmet need and unmet demand for family planning (FP) services, especially long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) and permanent methods. Clinical outreach is a primary service delivery channel under the LTFP Programme.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the vehicle is properly loaded with outreach equipment and ready to leave as per the agreed schedule
- Actively engage Outreach Clients using the vocal local technique during the procedure
- Capture data into CLIC system in consultation with the service providers
- Keep all logbooks up-to-date and copies submitted monthly to the Team Leader, the Outreach Operations Officer, and Fleet Officer
- Ensure third party insurance or registration stickers are valid at all times
- The incumbent will alert the Fleet Officer in writing, via the Team Leader, at least 4 weeks before expiry of insurance or registration
- Prepare and submit monthly vehicle reports to the Fleet Officer as per finance department protocols
- Keep the vehicle interior and exterior clean at all times
- Ensure that the vehicle receives the correct maintenance in a timely fashion to prevent avoidable breakdown, and to maximise vehicle performance
- Carefully monitor fuel and oil consumption of the vehicle, taking steps that records are accurate and no supplies are diverted
- When parking the Outreach vehicle after working hours, ensure the keys are handed over to the Team Leader or Transport Assistant another member of staff, designated by the Team Leader
- Support the clinical staff on outreach by unloading the vehicle, helping with infection prevention measures, client care, and assist procedures
- Drive in a responsible way, showing care and consideration for other road users, including pedestrians and cyclists and ensuring risks to all vehicles under the Driver’s control are minimised
- Ensure MSI Uganda vehicles are only used for official business and only in accordance with MSI Uganda vehicle protocols
- Carry a valid licence at all times
- Participate in community sensitisation and client flow management as requested by the Team Leader.
- Support in appropriate stock management as requested by the Team Leader .
- Perform any other duties requested by the Team Leader Experience
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold both O and A Level certificates (UCE; UACE)
- Possess a valid Ugandan Driving License (manual transmission essential)
- A minimum of two years; experience driving 4x4 vehicles in difficult terrain and in all seasons.
- Previous experience working as part of a highly functioning team.
- Excellent record keeping and time management.
- Keen attention for detail.
- Computer literate (ability to effectively enter data into an electronic database).
- Ability to work well with others in team enviroments; must be able to satisfy stakeholders; should be able to work in deadline-driven results-oriented environment.
- Knowledge of either of the two regions languages is a MUST (Westnile languages(Lugbara, Madi, Alur(luo) Kakwa) and (Central region Languages)
- Initiative: Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution.
- Innovative: Thinking creatively so that ideas generated create a positive outcome.
- Effective Communication: Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
- Team Player: Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other.
- Responsive: Being responsive to changing priorities and demands.
- Working Efficiently: Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met.
- Sharing Information: Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality.
- Focus on Learning: Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
- Commitment: Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
- Driven: Drive and determination to deliver results.
- Accountable: Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
- Embracing Change: Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
- Motivated: Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
The Transport Assistant is required to demonstrate MSI Uganda’s core values of;
- Accountability of all staff to each other and our clients and stakeholders
- Equality of opportunity and access
- Value for money in the management of our resources
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their electronic applications including a cover letter, updated CV and academic documents via E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 5th August 2016 by 12:00 Noon
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline