Job Title: Senior Meteorological Inspector
Organization: Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job Ref: CAA/ADV/EXT/07/2016
Reports to: Principal Air Navigation Services Inspector
Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is a corporate body responsible for the regulation of Civil Aviation in Uganda. It manages Entebbe International Airport and 13 other aerodromes upcountry. CAA carries out its work in conformity with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPS). The Authority now plans to recruit suitably qualified Ugandans of impeccable integrity and commitment to fill the following positions in its establishment.
Job Summary: The Senior Meteorological Inspector will conduct efficient and effective safety oversight activities of Meteorological Services for air navigation to ensure compliance with the Civil Aviation Regulations and Standards. The incumbent will also develop technical guidance material to enable effective implementation of Civil Aviation Regulations. The jobholder will develop and recommend changes to civil aviation legislation and regulations as may be appropriate.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical specialist input to the review, development and amendment of the Uganda Civil Aviation Act, Regulations and Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) in respect of Annex 3;
- Actively participate in investigation of ATS incidents and report non- compliance with regulations and procedures;
- Develop, review and provide technical guidance and interpretations regarding the application of the requirements/ standards of Annex 3;
- Work closely with the Meteorological service provider on regulatory matters associated with the provision of meteorological services;
- Take part in the development of criteria, standards, guidelines and performance measures governing auditing, inspection, monitoring and evaluation with respect to meteorological services for air navigation;
- Actively participate in analysis of ICAO State letters related to ICAO Annexes 3 and recommend appropriate action;
- Actively participate in the development of a program for audit, inspection and monitoring safety and regulatory oversight to assess compliance with provisions of Annex 3;
- Carry out regular audits and inspections to ensure compliance with the provision of Meteorological Services for air navigation;
- Perform any other duties assigned by the immediate supervisor and/or Management from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Senior Meteorological Inspector career opportunity should hold a Bachelor of Science degree in meteorology, atmospheric sciences or natural sciences; or possession of a Bachelors of Science degree in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or electronic Engineering and post graduate diploma or Masters in meteorology.
- At least ten years’ experience in the provision of aeronautical Meteorological services with 5 years at supervisory level.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Civil Aviation Act, Civil Aviation Regulations and fully conversant with ICAO Annex 3; Meteorological service for international air navigation, ICAO Documents: Doc 8896 - Manual of Aeronautical Meteorological Practices, Doc 9323 - Manual of RVR Observing and Reporting practices, Doc 8937 - Manual of Automatic of Meteorological Observing System at Airports, Doc - 9377 - Manual Coordination between ATS, AIS and Aeronautical Meteorological services, Doc 9817 - Manual of Low level wind shear, Doc 9873 - Manual of the quality system for the provision of meteorological Service for International Air Navigation;
- Broad knowledge of Meteorological facilities available at aerodromes and forecast offices and provision of such services in air navigation;
- Detailed working knowledge of Meteorological instruments, their use, application and calibration;
- Comprehensive knowledge of Meteorological requirements in Air Traffic services.
- The candidate should possess a high degree of integrity, be impartial in carrying out their tasks, tactful and able to relate with people.
- Good management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Age: Between 25 to 45 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who desire to join the aviation industry should send their hand-written applications with detailed CV and copies of academic certificates plus transcripts with the Job reference number clearly marked at the top left hand corner of the envelope should be sent to the address below. Please indicate your (day time) phone contact.
The Director, Human Resource and Administration,
Civil Aviation Authority (Head Office),
P.O. BOX 5536, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 26th August 2016 by 5:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline