Job Title: Principal Civil Engineer
Organisation: Uganda Railways Corporation (URC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief Civil Engineer
Uganda Railways Corporation (URC) is a body corporate established under an Act of Parliament to construct, operate and maintain railway, marine and road services both inside and outside Uganda for the carriage of passengers and goods. As a result of privatisation of operations, the mandate of URC changed from that of an operator to that of asset holder, concession monitor and advisor on railway technical matters.
Job Summary: The Principal Civil Engineer will deputise the Chief Civil Engineer and responsible for the permanent way.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting the Chief Civil Engineer monitor the railway concessionaire (RVR)’s compliance with the infrastructure concessionaire obligations (by regular inspection and other methods) and regularly reporting thereon.
- Manage the staff under his supervision for effective service delivery, efficiency and economy.
- Regularly inspect all the Corporation’s non-conceded infrastructure to assess its condition and to determine its rehabilitation, repair and/or maintenance requirements;
- Prepare the statements of requirements (designs, drawings, specifications, bills of quantities, schedules, etc.) and cost estimates for required civil engineering works and supplies;
- The incumbent will also prepare the statements of requirements (terms of reference) and cost estimates for required civil engineering consultancy and non-consultancy services;
- In charge of the provision of the civil engineering support to the Corporation’s Procurement and Disposal Unit including conducting pre-bid site inspections, answering pre-bid queries, evaluation of bids, negotiation of contracts and drafting of contracts;
- Manage the civil engineering supply/works/services contracts.
- Manage the way leaves ensuring that – among other things – only those that are essential are granted and that the granted way leaves are constructed, operated and maintained in accordance with the respective way leave agreements;
- Mentor and supervise the permanent way staff.
- Train and mentor the trainee civil engineers.
- Prepare and submit reports to the Chief Civil Engineer.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or its equivalent from a recognised institution.
- Membership of the Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers (UIPE) and registration with the Uganda Engineers’ Registration Board (ERB).
- Possession of a relevant Master’s degree from a recognised institution will be an added advantage
- A minimum of ten years’ work experience, at least three (3) of which at senior level, as a civil engineer with a busy public-sector organisation involved substantially in the planning, design, construction, rehabilitation, repair or maintenance of civil engineering facilities. Experience with a railway organisation and permanent way (railway track) engineering experience will be added advantages.
- Computer literacy with excellent knowledge of Microsoft OFFICE, Microsoft PROJECT and Autodesk AUTOCAD.
- Good working knowledge of the Uganda Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets (PPDA) law and regulations. Basic knowledge of the procurement rules and procedures of at least one of the major multi-lateral funding agencies (World Bank, European Development Fund, African Development Bank, etc.) will be an added advantage.
- Possess excellent writing skills.
- Proven ability to work under pressure in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Be a Ugandan citizen.
- Age: Above 38 years
How to Apply:
All candidates are strongly encouraged to send their applications accompanied with a current CV clearly stating current position and responsibilities, photocopies of academic certificates and testimonials and complete addresses and telephone numbers of three (3) referees and their e-mail addresses to the address indicated below;
Office of the Managing Director,
Plot 57, Nasser Road,
P.O Box 7150, Kampala.
Deadline: 29th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline