Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Health Manager
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. It was created by Albert Einstein more than 80 years and has been working in Uganda since 1998. It has particularly working in the conflict zones where tens of thousands of people have been kills and over 1.6 million displaced. Following a peace agreement in 2006, Ugandans are returning home and looking to rebuild their lives. The IRC is there to protect women and children from violence and exploitation by fostering a safe environment and encouraging education, and is supporting farmers and small businesses, and helping communities promote peace and long-term development.
Job Summary: The Participation Action Research & Community Engagement Officer will be responsible for the coordination and facilitation of Participatory Action Research (PAR) in Moroto District, Karamoja where the IRC currently supports an integrated family planning and immunization project. This position will also work closely with the IRC health team to design, implement and support community engagement strategies aimed at improving health outcomes for women and children.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
PAR Technical oversight: Offer technical oversight on Participatory Action Research (PAR) activities and ensure that activities are implemented according to the work plan and approved research protocol
Logistical Support and Organization:
- Work closely with IRC supply chain, procurement and health team staff as well as local stakeholders to plan, organize and facilitate routine meetings and workshops Stakeholder engagement
- Ensure local stakeholders at the health facility, community and government levels are kept informed on the PAR progress and findings
Monitoring, Evaluation, Documentation and Research:
- Serve as focal point between academic consultant and IRC Technical Unit for: 1) routine monitoring, evaluation and reporting of community engagement activities and 2) analysis and publication of PAR results.
- Serve as lead writer on the interim PAR report and final PAR technical review paper. Community engagement activities
- In coordination with IRC health team, design, implement and support a multi-pronged community engagement strategy.
- Develop, test and revise information, education, and communication (IEC) materials aimed at improving health outcomes for women and girls and increasing male engagement around family planning and immunization services.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a University qualification in the social sciences, public health, Community Health or a related discipline. Graduate level qualification preferred.
- A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years progressive experience in participatory community development, behavior change communication, and/or participatory action research
- Significant exposure and experience conducting qualitative research preferred
- Broad knowledge and understanding of sexual, reproductive, and child health issues in Uganda
- Significant experience as a strong facilitator capable of creating a participatory environment
- Previous exposure and experience in designing and facilitating trainings and capacity-building exercises
- Flexible work attitude; effective planning and organizing skills
- Good computer skills: facility with MS Word, Excel, and email/internet software.
- Excellent communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to speak local language (Ngakarimojong) is an added advantage
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an updated CV, copies of certificates and cover letter clearly indicating the position applied for to: The Country HR and Administration Manager, International Rescue Committee, P.O. Box 24672 Kampala; OR
Email to: UA-IRCJobs@Rescue.org.
Deadline: 26th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline