Job Title: Volunteer – Information and Communications
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 affiliates networked together in more than 90 countries committed to ridding the world of poverty and injustice. To achieve this, we support local projects in developing countries, we lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people and we campaign to involve citizens in our work. We implement our programs by working with local NGO partners and civil society organizations and engaging with private sector and governments. Oxfam employs over 6,000 people worldwide in more than 90 countries. In Uganda, our program is anchored on three broad themes deliberately focused on Women’s Rights: Resilient Livelihoods, Governance and Accountability and Humanitarian Preparedness and Response.
Job Summary: The Volunteer – Information and Communications will join Oxfam’s Information, Media and Communications team to support the effective delivery of this strategy. Oxfam’s volunteer policy aims to ensure you get the most out of your experience with us, from working directly with a dynamic team to getting involved in the fight against injustice and poverty. We present a great opportunity to learn new skills, expand your knowledge, networks and relationships. We will afford you an opportunity to deepen your professional experience. You will share with us the personal satisfaction that comes with being part of a team working together to find lasting solutions to the injustice of poverty.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The volunteer will gain a wealth of knowledge and experience from partaking in the following roles that are in support of the information, media and communications coordinator:
· Supporting in gathering, writing and editing of Stories from the field.
· Supporting brand management as guided by the Information Media and Communications Coordinator
· Compiling a quarterly e-newsletter
· Providing day-to-day support to the activities of the office in relation to media and communications
· Work closely with the media and communications coordinator to develop and manage a content plan to feed into the social networks and other platforms.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Volunteer – Information and Communications job opportunity should hold a degree or an equivalent qualification in journalism, Public Relations, media studies, or a related field or pursuing a career in this field.
· Previous exposure and experience in the field of communication, public relations and media
· Ability to work under tight time pressures and produce quality content
· Familiarity with social media and web content
· Computer literacy skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Ability to work under minimum supervision
· Valuable experience in facilitating communications, public relations and media activities
· A supportive and encouraging environment in which to grow your skills and knowledge
· Mentoring, on-duty training, all information and guidance required for you to carry out your internship and develop in your role
· Opportunity to develop a passion and commitment to overcoming poverty and suffering in communities
· Exposure to international NGO systems and processes
· A chance to develop meaningful networks and relationships that will help to propel your career forward.
· As this placement is purely voluntary, Oxfam will give a small monthly stipend to facilitate transport, meals and any other incidentals that may arise.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications in writing, including a cover letter and curriculum vitae (Not exceeding 2MB) to the HR and Admin Coordinator at Oxfamugandaemail@example.com.
Deadline: 26th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline