Job Title: Program Officer
Organization: Mercy Corps
Project Name: Nike Foundation Girls Improving Resilience with Livestock (GIRL)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: GIRL Team Leader
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
About Nike Foundation Girl Project:
Mercy Corps has been implementing the Nike Foundation funded program working in the Karamoja (Uganda) and West Pokot and Turkana (Kenya) regions. The project, called Girls Improving Resilience with Livestock (GIRL), aims to empower pastoralist girls in the Karamoja region to improve their livelihoods and personal agency, as well as increase the food security and adaptive capacity of their households and the resilience of their communities.
Job Summary: The Mercy Corps Program Officer for the GIRL program will be focused on community engagement, including the identification, recruitment and retention of training participants; the establishment of partnerships with key community members (elders, religious leaders, government officials) and the execution of livelihood development activities. He/she will be locally hired and based in Amudat. He/she will be responsible for day-to-day field-work in implementation of activities, mobilization, formation and monitoring of girls livelihoods/education cohorts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with all the program staff in implementation of the program.
- Actively engage community members (community representatives, teachers, religious leaders, government officials and gatekeepers) to form an Advisory Committee to support and inform program activities
- The incumbent will organize community events to sensitize communities on the GIRL program
- Offer support in the creation of technical curricula, basic education (numeracy & literacy) and financial literacy
- Recruit and train mentors to deliver technical curricula to girls
- The incumbent will identify and recruit girls in the community to participate in livestock/producer groups
- Identify and engage local animal health workers to provide training and technical assistance to livestock/producer groups
- Regularly monitor and track the success and failures of livestock/producer groups
- Collect program data accurately and forward the same to the office timely.
- Offer support in community mapping activities, market assessments and base-line/end-line evaluation activities
- Prepare accurate and timely monitoring and field reports and other project documentation as required.
- Maintain proper project/program files.
- Represent the organization in meetings at the grass root level.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor or representatives
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Programme Officer job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Community Development, Economic Development or related field;
- At least three years’ experience working with NGOs/CBO’s in civic engagement, livelihoods and education
- Show commitment to working with youth and vulnerable groups in need, regardless of race, tribe, religion or gender;
- Broad knowledge and understanding of working with local partners;
- Good problem solving, written and oral communication skills;
- Strong written and spoken English
- Local language skills required-Pokot.
- Ability to work without constant supervision and as part of a mixed team;
- Good knowledge of MS Office software such as Excel, Word, and Access;
- Ability and curiosity to work comfortably and effectively in the cultural, relatively poor infrastructure of Karamoja sub region.
- S/he will be an excellent communicator, have a strong sense of humor, multi-tasker, and able to work difficult and often stressful environments.
How to Apply:
All prospective Ugandans who wish to join Mercy Corps are encouraged to send their applications via email including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to email@example.com addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road.
Deadline: 10th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline