Job Title: Network Administrator
Organization: National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Manager MIS
The National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) was established on the passing of the Uganda Registration of Persons Act, 2015. The Act was made to harmonise and consolidate the law on registration of persons; to provide for registration of individuals and to establish a national identification register. It provides for the mandatory registration of all Ugandan citizens within Uganda and abroad as well as aliens identification cards and for related matters.
Job Summary: The Network Administrator will design, organize, modify, install, and support NIRA Local Area Networks, Wide Area Networks, Internet and intranet systems, and network segments. The network administrator will also perform a variety of complex professional and technical duties related to the installation and maintenance of NIRA’s computer network and communications hardware and software systems including but not limited to Servers, Routers, Firewall, LAN, WAN and voice systems.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent maintains an efficient information network system in NIRA i.e. Local Area Networks (LAN) or Wide Area Networks (WAN), email, and all Internet services
- Maintains Network servers, routers, switches, and related software
- The incumbent maintains server rooms in a tidy manner and ensure that devices and network points are properly identified with labels
- Maintains an inventory of all IT related equipment showing the physical location, the user, a clear description and specification details
- Maintains the disaster recovery site Network Infrastructure and ensure business continuity in times of crisis
- Carries out and documents the quarterly tests of the Business Continuity Plan
- Maintains documentation of all components of the Authority’s Network infrastructure
- Updates network diagrams/plans, procedures and manuals as appropriate specifically by end of every June and December
- Works closely with third party suppliers and vendors to ensure that all IT-related equipment and networking operating systems operate to specifications
- Sets up, installs and configures all IT related software and hardware
- Conducts staff training in Networking, Software and Hardware as planned form time to time
- Offers networking support to users including help with network connections and passwords etc
- Keenly monitors network traffic and makes necessary recommendations for additional resources and/or hardware
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Manager MIS.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) Network Administrator job vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s Degree with Honors in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems or a related field is required.
- The applicant must also preferably hold recognized professional ICT qualifications in networking such as CCNA and CCNP.
- A minimum of three years’ experience working with networking infrastructure and WANs with a reputable public or private organization.
- Working knowledge of LAN and WAN topologies and architecture, including Multi VLAN architecture.
- Ability to construct, operate and maintain LAN and WAN Networks.
- Broad knowledge of Gigabit and Ethernet topology interfacing with network IP phone systems. Must be able to research and solve associated problems.
- Good working knowledge of network equipment such as switches, routers, hubs, and associated equipment and how to construct and maintain networks. Must also have a working knowledge of the software control systems for networks.
- Working knowledge of Server and PC operating systems, hardware and components including processors, mother boards, accessories, cards, peripherals etc.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of Firewall servers and basic rule setting programming.
- Broad understanding of the installation, configuration of network equipment utilizing varied protocols such as TCP/IP, Microsoft protocols and NMS.
- Working knowledge of IP Telephony and QOS service implementation for network based phone systems.
- Ability to train users on network concepts and methodologies as well as specific application utilization and configuration.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested persons should send their applications, curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates/ testimonials to the National Director, Profiles International Uganda Limited (PIUL), Plot 26B Tufnell Drive, Kamwokya, Kampala, P.O. Box 3024, Kampala or hand deliver the application at its offices indicated above from 8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Please indicate a daytime telephone contact and names and contact details of three professional referees. Also, in your application letter and on the cover of the envelope, clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
Deadline: 24th August, 2016
NB: If you do not hear from NIRA within two months from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to disqualification.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline