Job Title: IT Officer
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Finance & Administration
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The IT Officer will provide overall support and implementation of Information Technology strategies in DRC Uganda operation. The incumbent will also ensure the policies and standards are applied consistently in all offices.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as the main point of contact for IT related issues in the use of computers, software and other communication equipment.
- Troubleshoot/diagnose problems and react accordingly.
- Advise and instruct staff (users) on IT best practices, internet and e-mail usage and appropriate course of action where problems are encountered.
- Work closely with Uganda Head of Finance and Administration & Regional IT Officer on IT equipment that need repair/replacement.
- Prepare an inventory schedule of all IT equipment and software in use.
- Carry out simple and brief, on the job training for staff as required.
- Manage system resources.
- Conduct computer audit trails.
- Perform general repairs on some IT equipment and peripherals.
- Support Office 365 package ensuring;
- Ensure staff are logged into Lync
- Document sharing is done appropriately in SharePoint
- Allocate respective rights/Privileges for the cloud system
- Effective backup on One-drive.
- Monitor organisation WAN for problems.
- Troubleshoot internet issues in liaison with the relevant ISP.
- Work closely with Regional IT Manager regarding issues/faults.
- Administrator oversees computer networks to ensure that they function smoothly.
- Install all new hardware, systems, and software for networks.
- Install, configure, and maintain network services, equipment and devices.
- Supports administration of servers and server clusters located at head office remotely.
- Plans and supports network and computing infrastructure.
- Perform troubleshooting analysis of servers, workstations and associated systems.
- Documents network problems and resolution for future reference.
- Monitors system performance and implements performance tuning.
- Manage software and network security.
- Monitor bandwidth utilization amongst the offices and users.
- Support the M&E evaluation team in data management.
Backup, Antivirus & Security:
- Perform backups as scheduled and ensure data integrity
- Configure and update antivirus.
- Manage user accounts, permissions, email, and anti-virus, anti-spam.
- Monitor and configure Microtik to ensure optimal utilization of internet in the office.
- Monitor the antivirus licenses and ensure order is made before expiration
- Ensure the data backup is highly encrypted for protection.
- Work in liaison with Regional IT Officer to maintain system performance and react to issues to maximize uptime
- Continually perform preventative maintenance as scheduled.
- Assist with system upgrades and rollouts.
- The incumbent will assist with administration of users, access controls and computers.
- Assist in maintaining operating systems, internet and email systems.
- Ensure that internet invoices are received on time and forwarded to finance for payment.
- Mentor and train the users on optimizations of the IT resources-Printers.
- In charge of training the users on how to work effectively using Office 365.
- Mentor and train the users on basic IT troubleshooting skills.
- Train staff on the new roll-outs and IT policy.
- Build capacity with Field IT focal Persons.
- Prepare a comprehensive technical monthly report of the IT occurrences to the DRC Uganda Head of Finance and Administration and Regional IT Manager to ensure a development of a proper remedy.
- In charge of the analysis of communication bills and control in the office.
- Monthly Annual Performance Indictors (API) to the region Office.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) IT Officer should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or other related field from a recognized institution
- A minimum of four years’ experience working in an IT support environment
- Previous experience of working with networked computing systems/windows TCP/IT networking experience
- Previous experience working with LINUX / Windows servers.
- Working knowledge of and competence in Microsoft operating system and office suite
- High level of hardware/software remote trouble shooting experience
- Quick in learning new systems
- Demonstrate a customer-focused, motivated and pro-active approach to your work
- Excellent communication skills, and fluent in spoken English
- Excellent communication (written & spoken) and interpersonal skills
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in a difficult work environment.
- Able to work under harsh and extreme conditions, good judgment and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including;
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and please indicate your salary expectations
- Updated and detailed (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualifications, relevant training courses, work experience, and name and contact details of three relevant references.
The complete application package should be uploaded online, Click Here
Deadline: 16th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline