Job Title: Victim Advocate
Organisation: Samaritan’s Purse
Project Name: Anti-Trafficking Uganda, Reintegration and Prevention Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager, Anti-Trafficking, Reintegration and Prevention Project
Samaritan’s Purse is an international Christian relief and development organization meeting the critical needs of victims of war, poverty, natural disaster, famine and disease with the aim of sharing God’s love.
Job Summary: The Victim Advocate (VA) is responsible for the provision of assistance to victims of human trafficking enrolled into this project. The incumbent will support trafficked women and provide assistance in mitigating against the impact of the experience of trafficking and associated trauma. He/She will act as a liaison between government agencies, non-governmental agencies, law enforcement, and aftercare providers to protect the best interests of the beneficiary and ensure the best quality of care. He/She will facilitate training and outreach events.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assesses beneficiary needs, accurately analyzes cases, and takes appropriate action.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality of the beneficiary.
- Uses a victim-centered approach.
- Provide on-site crisis intervention, emergency assistance, information, referral and follow-up on cases to ensure beneficiary welfare.
- The incumbent will provide advocacy services upon repatriation at the airport or border.
- Provide information on victimization, beneficiary’s legal rights and protections, and information on the criminal justice process.
- Advocate for the beneficiary if she decides to file a police report or pursue a criminal case to prosecute her trafficker.
- Carry a work phone and Respond to emergency calls during unfavorable times. .
- Establish and maintain communication to meet the objectives of this project.
- Take part in briefings in assigned law enforcement agencies.
- Maintain professional and cooperative relations with law enforcement agencies, criminal justice agencies, community agencies, hospitals, and the community.
- Evaluate and maintain appropriate referral sources for beneficiary in collaboration with beneficiary’s case manager.
- Create and facilitate education presentations and trainings for law enforcement, service providers, and others.
- Maintain current and accurate beneficiary information on all forms.
- Compile project data and assist with monitoring and evaluation statistics.
- Maintain knowledge of current events and developments in the profession.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and all staff.
- Keep supervisor and case manager informed of activities and problems.
- Promote the best interest of SP and project partner.
- Perform any other duties as deemed necessary by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Behavioural Science, Criminal Justice, Social Work and or any other related field.
- The Victim Advocate should have at least two years’ experience working with vulnerable/exploited people in a position involving the provision of victim services, social work, counseling, equivalent social skills, and program administration.
- He/ She Should be personable, a team leader and result orientated to fill the position of Victim Advocate.
- He/ She should have excellent Computer Skills, Verbal and written Communication skills, Interpersonal skills and Organizational skills, spoken and written English skills.
- The successful candidate should have the ability to demonstrate sensitivity to the cultural/ethnic diversity of the service population and to be sensitive to the needs of special populations.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an updated CV, covering letter and relevant documentation by email to HR: Ugandahr@samaritan.org or hand delivery to Samaritan’s Purse offices, Plot 11 Luthuli drive, Bugolobi.
Deadline: Friday 19th August, 2016 by 5:oo pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline