Organisation: Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development
Project Name: The Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAP III)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Commissioner Budget Policy and Evaluation Department (BPED)
The Government of Uganda is implementing the Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAP III) with the primary purpose to strengthen Public Financial Management (PFM) at all levels of government and ensure efficient, effective and accountable use of public resources as a basis for improved service delivery. The overall objective of FINMAP is derived from the GoU PFM reform strategy for the period from July 2014 to June 2018, launched in August 2014. In line with the strategy, FINMAP aims to encourage effective service delivery through reinforcing mechanisms for budget credibility, compliance and control; and to improve financial management practices through implementation of automated financial management systems. FINMAP interventions are implemented at both central and local government levels through a number of components. The programme also has several stakeholders, including Development Partners. The implementation of FINMAP III entails a significant amount of coordination effort at all levels. This coordination requirement is met through the contracting of Staff to support specific Programme areas.
The programme is funded by the Government of Uganda as well as a number of development partners including the Department for International Development of the United Kingdom, European Union, Norway, Denmark, Germany (KFW), Sweden. There is also cooperation at various levels with the World Bank, International Monetary Fund (IMF) and Irish Aid.
Job Summary: The IT Application Support Officers will offer support related to the maintenance of the Programme Budgeting System for central and local governments, supporting the MoFPED carry out the following:
· Hardware and Network support
· Central Government MDAs PBS Modules support
· Local Government PBS Modules support
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Actively participate in training of users for the Programme Budgeting System (PBS).
· Manage the extraction and migration of historical data from the OBT to the PBS.
· Ensure overall system functionality throughout the budget process, but especially towards key deadlines in the budget process (BFP, Annual Budget, quarterly reporting and ABPR).
· Regularly monitor and maintain the security of the PBS application and SQL Server database instances and optimize its performance (Develop security procedures to protect PBS database from unauthorized usage).
· Ensure that the PBS is up and running 24x7 and that all the scheduled application and database backups run successfully.
· Carry out quality assurance tests for ensuring data integrity and quality.
· Ensure that the servers (primary and failover) in the data centre are secure and running the latest software updates and service packs;
· Work closely with the staff at the disaster recovery site to monitor the performance and success of the backup jobs.
· Restore all the instances of the PBS application and database servers in case of a disaster;
· Provide timely technical support through email, telephone and social media to Local Governments and Central Governments in budget preparation and execution using the PBS.
· In charge of planning and implementing software version upgrade releases;
· Resolve application and database problems, queries and error reports in accurate and timely manner.
· Maintain accurate and complete IT maintenance documentations.
· Offer support in identifying process improvements for database performance, reliability and stability.
· Perform storage space management and capacity planning for the database system.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants must hold Bachelor’s degrees in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Software Engineering or BSC majoring in Computer Science;
· Microsoft SQL Server / Oracle Certification is desired
· The IT Application Support Officer must have good working experience of MS Access and SQL Server.
· Prior experience in developing queries, reports and form design in Microsoft Access, SQL Server Reporting Services and other report writers.
· Ability to program in Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) and the Microsoft .NET framework
· Ability to administer Microsoft SQL Server databases
· Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure as part of a team and independently
· Previous experience with Linux as well as windows operating system
· Familiarity with the Uganda Budget Process and Chart of Accounts is an added advantage
· Experience in managing SharePoint web-based applications is desired
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications, updated CVs and copies of academic certificates should be addressed and submitted to the address below. Envelopes should have clear reference to the job applied for. Send to:
The Programme Coordinator,
The Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAP III),
Ministry of Finance, Planning & Economic Development Finance Building; 3rd Floor, Room 3.4 Plot 2/12 Apollo Kaggwa Road P 0 Box 8147, Kampala. Uganda.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday, 9th September 2016 by 1700hrs
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline